THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF EDSEL MURPHY (4)

PWK was obviously as intimately acquainted with Murphy as I am.

As a computer tech who spends about 90% of his time repairing laptops,I loved his comments about screws,access covers,leftover parts and gaskets!

Just the other day I was reassembling an unfamiliar model,( As a favour for another technician who had to book off suddenly due to a family emergency ) that he had torn down and was just about to drive in the last couple of screws when my hand brushed against something hidden under an anti-static bag on the bench. I lifted the bag out of the way and discovered an additional part. I consulted the ( essentially useless service manual ), and discovered that the part belonged on the underside of the systemboard and had to tear the %$#@&^% thing all the way back down to install it. The teardown was a 30 minute job and the installation of the wayward part was a 15 second job once I got there! I then spent another 45 minutes redoing what I had previously done.

Thus what should have been a 30 minute "quick and dirty" turned into 2 hour horror. Naturally I was already up to my hips when I volunteered to bail him out ( on the presumption that it would be a 20-30 minute fix ) and wound up having to put in an hour of unpaid overtime in order to get back to where I had been at the beginning of the day.

Murphy I hate you!