banana plugs

DrWho

I've decided it's time to upgrade to banana plugs because I've become quite annoyed when swapping cables and polarities around these last few days (I've had to cut quite a few cables cuz the strands get all knotted up).

Anyways, I would prefer to go the dual banana plug route, but I remember reading before that klipsch has a different spacing that doesn't let these work because of issues in the european markets...Is this true for all klipsch speakers or the more recent models? Is there a list or some way of finding out this information?

Also, do dual banana plugs work inside spring loaded terminals as well?

Thanks,

-Mike

actually Mike, I think most of the Klipsch take the standard dual banana plugs. Don't buy cheap ones though. I'll post more to you later, but Orange County Speaker has horrible plugs and the AR singles are not shielded, so the massive barrels touch and bingo, you're shorted out. Best best is look for standard old-fashioned plastic models with 4 blade prongs on the contacts, not the fancy gold ones. One of the companies mentioned here frequently has some, more later.

M

YES, that's what you want. Remember the 'tab' is normally labeled GND for ground. Some of the foreign manufacturers don't put the label on, and the uninformed person might use the 'marked' tab lead for the positive, which is CONTRA TO STANDARD WIRING.

Buy a BIG BAG, I'll split em with ya. FOr a HT, takes 6x2 or 12 plugs minimum.

M

Ok cool, thx a bunch 1.gif

Now for my last question, should these work in spring loaded terminals?

I suppose the easy answer would be to just to try it, but I wanted to get the bulk rate without having a ton left over. $1.35 a pop isn't exactly cheap (well for me at least).

no to spring loaded terminals, yes to Klipsch 5-way posts, you can pull the plugs and insert them in the ends (not very secure) or actually insert them top to bottom in the holes in the posts and tighten the nuts against them (very secure), this also takes up less depth for a bookshelf type arrangement.

Consider that they are like $3+ each at Radio Shack and $1.35 is pretty inexpensive. I paid $2 each for AR SINGLE plugs a while back, if ya need any for wide spaced plugs.

They do save a lot of hassle, like you said in first post. Especially for us experimenting types. We've just got to get you some more disposable income!

Michael

For translations try babelfish.altavista.com, copy the url you want translated and the languages you are using and the site will be translated, my wife uses it frenquently for Japanese to English as she buys collectables only available in the far east.

Good Luck.

Found WBT connectors at PartsExpress.com and Ramelectronics.net

Whatever you buy, buy something that doesn't require a tool (small screwdriver). Get either singles or duals that tighten via thumb screw end.

Buy Phoenix Gold and never buy again.

Keith

Well I've got plenty of small screwdrivers in my "audio bag" so that won't be an issue. (haha what sound guy doesn't?)

Btw, I just today found a pair of banana plugs in my studio that look just like those ones from partsexpress. Imma have to sneak them home 10.gif

I have never been able to get a dual banana to fit a Klipsch speaker. I am using a Rat Shack dual banana on an amp that will not fit Klipsch.

Dr. Who: Be sure that you can return any dual bananas that you buy. I have used gold plated brass bananas sold at Rat Shack with my Klipsch. They accept stranded wire up to 12 awg. Monster Lock bananas are good, but way over priced.

Bill

Would it be too difficult to cut the duals apart for in situations where the spacing is different?

(and my british friends are always complaining how stupid americans can be...they done gone screwed up an entire market cuz they don't know that speakers plug into the amp and not the wall, lol).

A good hack saw could separate a dual banana, but my view is to always use the right part the first time. When in doubt, make a measurement before you buy. It saves a ton of trouble, not to mention the cash that is conserved.

Bill