Anti-cable speaker cables and yes now IC's.

zman

----------------

On 5/30/2005 8:58:29 AM sunnysal wrote:

just want to mention that the same people whio refuse to "believe" in cables should not replace any capactitors, resistors, inductors or pots/attentuators in there amps, preamps and crossovers; it accomplishes the same thing, or not, depending on your mood...funny how people pooh-pooh one thing and do the other...always baffles me. tony

----------------

How can you compare crossovers to speaker wire and don't say they are acting as a resistor? Give me your opinion then on PWK lamp cord philosophy? I wonder why he did not use something better.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony,

Believing in "magic" cables is totally unrelated to the other activities you mentioned. I whole heartedly "believe" in replacing 30 year old caps that are now acting more like resistors and resistors that have changed value over the years. I also "believe" in cleaning or replacing noisy pots. The magic cables are usually not replacing an existing part that has a problem with one that functions better - just one that is more expensive. Of course, if you have a problems with your speaker cables you should fix them! This approach has worked well for me no matter what mood I am in. 2.gif

I was not talking about those who only replace malfunctioning parts, I was talking about people who replace in spec caps, coils and resistors with PIO, Teflon, Metal film, Litz wire, etc. claiming to hear differences in sound. I, for one, can clearly hear what a jensen PIO cap does when swapped into a crossover to replace a simple solen, etc. All that was done was change the cap material, it had minor electrical ramifications. the sound was affected.

I have no problem with people who are consistant in their belief and statements that no changes in components make any difference, they have every right to believe that.

I have bones to pick with those who swap out components elsewhere in the signal chain (not to replace bad, out of spec parts) and claim a sound difference but reject wires as a valid part of that signal chain with the same electrical variables to be manipulated for sound.

I have heard myself that small changes anywhere in the signal chain in resistance, capacitance and inductance can and will affect the sound. I have heard it on my amps, my preamps, my crossovers and thus I am willing to accept I could hear it with my speaker wires. measure different wires and you will see changes in all the electrical factors I mentioned. To me it is not "fairy tale" stuff to assume that these differences could affect sound.

I have not spent much on wires but I have auditioned wires before choosing the ones I use in my system. others are free to use coat hangers if they wish. I frankly do not care what PWK used.

regards, tony

Sunny,

I find it difficult to beleive that one can hear a difference in sound from electronic elements - especially just wires. It is well known that one can't "remember" how a sound sounds for more than a few seconds. This is why the immediate A\B test is needed to compare sounds. How do you compare the sounds of different electronic elements if it takes a while to replace them? If you used an A/B switch, wouldn't the sound of the switch become part of the total sound?

Paul