OT: Thanks Arthurs

MrMcGoo

Art sold me his Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 5 channel amp. The transaction could not have gone more smoothly once an agreement was reached. Art does the fastest email that I have ever seen.

I was worried about shipping a 60 pound package via FedEx ground. The double box arrived in perfect condition thanks to Art's excellent packing and the smiling FedEx shipping gorillas.

The amp is a great addition to my system. Thanks Art!!!!

Bill

Back at ya Bill! Bill is a gentleman of his word, a real treat to do business with, and an asset to the hobby. I wouldn't hesitate to get involved in another transaction with Bill.

(Someday, I'll get a life, have the IT guys come over and rip the network out of my house, and not be so fast with my mail, until then I remain cursed....)

Darn Art!!! I wanted to surprise you with my email. You had replied to both postings before I could even write the email.

I think that Athurs does not really exist. It's really a super duper artifcial intelligence program that can mimic the real Art perfectly.

Bill

----------------

On 5/8/2005 4:30:39 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Art sold me his Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 5 channel amp. The transaction could not have gone more smoothly once an agreement was reached. Art does the fastest email that I have ever seen.

I was worried about shipping a 60 pound package via FedEx ground. The double box arrived in perfect condition thanks to Art's excellent packing and the smiling FedEx shipping gorillas.

The amp is a great addition to my system. Thanks Art!!!!

Bill
----------------

I second that, Bill. I was interested in the amp and elected not to purchase (or at least make an offer). I would not hesitate to purchase anything from Art in the future. As a matter of fact, Art even went out of his way to help me with the value of a couple of my amps.

That's just what makes this forum special.

David

I have used the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature (first series, second flight@405 wpc x5) that Art sold to me for two days now. I replaced a Sunfire CG II (225x5). I have used the replacement long enough for a preliminary review.

The Sunfire Signature CG first series, second flight versus the first flight added a detachable power cord, brass speaker terminals that are gold plated and has output that actaully calculates to 420 wpc at 8 ohms. For all practical purposes, the Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature that I purchased is identical to the CG Signature Series II without the Series II silk screened on the front panel.

The differences that I have noticed between the 405 wpc model versus the 225 wpc model are that there is less sibilance on the center channel (RC-7). My Pioneer Advanced MCACC processor does a better job of auto calibration and dialog is slightly clearer. Also, the surrounds (RS-7s) have less trouble "keeping up" with the front array. The higher quality binding posts do not allow the bananas to pull out as easily as the less expensive binding posts on the 225 watt model.

My mains are run by a Sunfire Signature Stereo amp that runs stone cold. The five channel amps do not run as cool as the 2 channel amp, so I continue to use a variable speed 12v fan in my rack.

The added wattage of the replacement amp is not needed, but its improved ability to drive the minimum impedance (~3.35 ohms) of the center and surrounds is apparent. All in all, I could not be happier with its performance.

Bill

Bill,

I'm thinking of trying out a new amp to go with my DeanG RF7's. Although I do have a good amp right now(Anthem Statement 2x325W), the Sunfire line realy sounds like its more suited for a Klipsch speaker. I like the idea of the "current source" option for that more tube like sound. If you don't mind, can you briefly describe the sound you experience with your Sunfire600 and your RF7's.

Jeff

Jeff,

Your Anthem amp should work well with RF-7s that have rebuilt crossovers. The Anthem should have more than enough current to handle the impedance dip on the RF-7s. I have DeanG crossovers and really like them. They work well with the Sunfire amp and Pioneer processor.

I have used the current outputs on my RC-7 (original crossover) from a Sunfire Cinema Grand II 225x5. The current source on the high frequency driver improved the sibilance problem that I was experiencing with my center channel. The Signature Cinema Grand (405x5) has nearly eliminated the sibilance problem without use of the current outputs.

The Sunfire Signature Stereo amp has no noise (S/N -118db), but has less warmth than the earlier generation of Sunfire amps. The earlier generations used less negative feedback apparently, but had an extremely faint hiss from high sensitivity horns. The hiss was only audible with your ear up to the tweeter. The newer models have zero hiss, but are more "dry" or neutral than the earlier models IMO.

I am listening to Chopin played on a Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand on the RF-7s. The highs sparkle, control of the bass is perfect. There are no audible vices, just Chopin. On movies, the transient response is so intense that you may think you have been kicked in the chest when the cannon volley hits in Master and Commander.

The stereo amp never gets warm, no matter how loud the RF-7s get. The amp has near zero air circulation. All in all, I like the Sunfire amps, but believe the Signature models are worth a small premium that I am willing to pay.

Bill