~$1,500 Budget - What should I get?!

Falcon

Gotta agree with Shane, Olorin and others. Get a solid MODERN HT receiver. 7.1 channels would be max, but you could hook it up for stereo, stereo+center, stereo+sub+surrounds, basically any combination. I'd aim for 5 channels (fronts, rears, and center) and a sub (the .1) for now. That's about all your budget and some rooms can accomodate, you can add the other speakers later.

I like the 'buy big' and add on theory. Your two fronts could 'graduate' to surround duty when you get bigger towers. Get the baddest center you can afford, it's critical for HT. Likewise with Sub. Basically, make everything bigger than everything else. Kidding

RB35 or so for front, RC35 would be good start. Then the RB35's could move to back when you get RF5's or so. Note RF5's are buy 1, get one free right now in INdy, think they're closing them out.

Good luck and good listening.

Michael

The only changes I might make to Iamtbiker (sp?) list would be to maybe shoot for RF35 mains and RC35 center and hold off on surrounds for a bit. It's a balanced system, but I for one, enjoy having more full range from my mains. Most receivers DO NOT use the sub for normal stereo listening. Just my personal opinion, it's a pretty balanced system and good use of funds as well.

How do you like the SUB12, looks like they engineered a winner there!

M

Well, I am taking a break down here while the little one watches The Incredibles on DVD and the listed system. All I can say is WOW! A friend stopped by to pick up some racecar parts and watched a while too, and he about jumped out of his chair with the performance of the Sub-12, lol. Needless to say, I am more than happy with it. Nice music performance too so far with some concert DVD's like the Eagles Hell Freezes Over, etc. Much better than even the BIC H-100 it replaced upstairs. A winner IMO that should sell quite a few, especially when the word gets out to everyone how they perform. As to the speakers, I thought about the RF-35/RC-35 as well, but was pretty limited by the WAF and the center fit perfectly in the entertainment center where a drawer used to reside. I did give a listen to them, but with the sub the 25's keep up pretty well and I felt the sound was almost a bit cleaner than the 35's in the mid bass area. Of course it could just be the room acoustics.....and I agree with those who say buy what YOU like after listening to a variety of speakers!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 5/10/2005 3:59:47 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

"Note RF5's are buy 1, get one free right now in INdy, think they're closing them out."

Michael
----------------

Who is closing them out at that price?

Ovation Audio in Indy and throughout midwest had them a while back for that. Generally that means they're closing them out and they'll honor the price for a while, even if it's not advertised.

Phone to northside Indy store is 317-299-9877

good luck, let me know if you need pickup and hold service.

Michael

I'd recommend staying away from the lower end Denon stuff.

The "made in Japan" Denons are good, but the lower end stuff is made in China.

When I decided to make the jump into HT I tried to do it on the cheap and made the mistake of buying a Denon 1804 avr - which, IMHO, really sounded like crap - of course I'd been used to separate amps.

I ended up taking it back and trading it in - which began the upgrade escalation....

James

----------------

On 5/10/2005 11:05:00 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Ovation Audio in Indy and throughout midwest had them a while back for that. Generally that means they're closing them out and they'll honor the price for a while, even if it's not advertised.

Phone to northside Indy store is 317-299-9877

good luck, let me know if you need pickup and hold service.

Michael

----------------

Colterphoto, on a side note, I think you and I should be getting a commission for as much as we recommend Ovation to the forum members. 9.gif

Sorry for the hi-jack. FWIW, I would recommend getting the best speakers to start as well.

On 5/10/2005 6:30:07 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

The only changes I might make to Iamtbiker (sp?) list would be to maybe shoot for RF35 mains and RC35 center and hold off on surrounds for a bit. It's a balanced system, but I for one, enjoy having more full range from my mains. Most receivers DO NOT use the sub for normal stereo listening. Just my personal opinion, it's a pretty balanced system and good use of funds as well.

My h/k avr-235 does, thank goodness. I'm sure the recent h/k avr-x35 do as well.

good day all

Falcon here area a couple of choices

www.craigslist.org , go to the philadelphia area search klipsch speakers in eletronics 31 mar listing has pair of heries and nad reciver , cd palayer $650 ( if he has not sold it yet he may be ready to deal) Herrsies are the goal. plus if also listed his #. listing # 2 kg 3.5 couple days old. if you deside to go the herrtage line you can do searches as far as you willing to drive to p/u dc,nc,ny ect ect.

if you deside the new rf line go to sound of tri state authorized klipsch dealer work a good deal with then then the bouns no tax !!!! there is a tweeter with in 20 mintues from there

directions

95"s" past airport 1st exit in de. Namans road exit ,top of ramp left you will see value city and kmart in shopping center , enter go right around to the side .

i am in philly also. cityline area

hope this helps

peace

yendor

I've decided to go with the R-35s and the 12" sub. I think I'll go to the local tweeter down in DE (tax free, woo hoo!) to check out the amps. Maybe they can work me a good deal.

After I told my wife how much it was going to cost (why does she always have to ask?) I had to agree not to get the new grill I had been eyeing up for this summer in addition to being on kitty litter box duty.

I can live with that.

Yendor,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. I'm actually in West Chester (I use Philly for the benefit of everyone who doesn't live in the area).

There's a tweeter right over the line in DE that I plan on stopping by as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

faclon ,

just one thing you can not get any klipsch product at tweeter. i mentionened them beacuse denon reciver or what ever reciver you pick. follow dear locator link enter you zip .

I agree with colin, that you should build a strong 2 channel system them them go from there this way you have the best bang for the buck.

you can pm me i know of a couple of places to get some equipment in de. (all in the general 202 in de area of the tweeter).

hope this helps .

peace

yendor

good day all

Falcon

this is the course of action to consideter if you can squeezz the extra 500.

DEMO SET. RF-7 $1500

MAINLINE SOUND& VIDEO

503 W. LANCASTER AVE

Wayne pa

610-687-3555

Fred D'ami

i stopped by on my way home from work, we talked for a while I gave a CD to listen to

THEY ARE SWEET !!!!!!!!

they are klipsch current top of the line

actually the have a the rest of the matching set as for sale also if any other members are intrested (RC-7, RS-7

hope this helps

peace

rodney

Yendor,

Thanks very much for the info. That's just the kind of deal I need to find. I will do my best to get over there. I'm actually leaving this Sunday for 2 weeks, and the inlaws are coming tomorrow. Maybe I can get my wife to go over with me today???

Hey, I heard of a great buying technique from a friend's parents that I think I may apply to Klipsch (or any) speaker setups. They wanted to get a new car, so instead of going to a dealer to negotiate, they found out all the options they wanted online, printed it out, and faxed it every dealer in the tri state area. They said basically "this is what we want, fax us back your best offer. We'll take the lowest." No phone calls, no haggling, and they saved thousands from the highest to the lowest cost.

I hate going into these high end speaker stores. It probably doesn't help much that I start drooling in the parking lot. They see me coming...

Later

I have to disagree with the last post. I try to buy locally, to help our local economy and for ease of service. Whether it's cars, stereo gear, cameras, etc., price is not the only qualifier for a sale in my estimation. Developing a working relationship with a helpful sales person who can help you with the correct selection is very valuable.

For instance, I have worked with Honda West in Indy for 20 years. The service manager is on my Christmas card list. When I walk in, they all know me by name. Just went to purchase a new Accord, my salesman looks up dealer cost in the book, adds $500 for the dealership- voila- my cost. How many folks can get $2000 off a new Honda?

If a camera breaks, I've got a spot where I can get a loaner with no questions asked.

Stereo gear is not quite so critical, but I can walk into Ovation and get a 'sale' price any day of the week. Never pay retail, and all my questions are answered. I also have the knowledge that when I buy Klipsch, I am getting original factory goods will full warranty, something that may be missing with mail order sales.

Michael

good day all .

Micheal

what is there to disargre about? 2 out of the 3 options envolve some kind of face to face transaction. both from authroized dealers either way he will be forming some kinda opf relationship if he buys from either one of those 2.

the last option was the preowned market aka craigslist.org i suggested to falcom search out a far as your willing to drive and p/u speakers natuaraly this would require a brief demo. some times we have to take the deal where you find them if its what you want

peace

yendor