which receiver?

steven32

Hi guys i am new here as far as posting, however i always read the post in the forums. i just have a question. speaker wise i have rf-5, rc-7 2 rs-7 and using one rc3-2 for rear center. wife gave me the ok to get a new receiver. the 3 i was looking at is the pioneer elite 56txi or the denon 3805 and the yamaha rxv1. those 3 are in the price range that she has given me. just would like you imput on which one would be best to get. thank for any advice

steven

I'd say either of those would sound pretty good,I would lean toward Denon.But,thats just me and you may like one of the others better.Actually I would prefer the HK 630/635 to any of those,especially for the bargain price.Best to audition so you don't suffer possible buyers remorse.

Wow I just googled the denon and so your looking at around 900? Why go mainstream? Man you can get a really nice receiver with that kind of dough. I would look into Arcam, rotel, cambridge audio, outlaw audio, nad, b&k. Don't let the lower watts in this price range discourage you with these brands. It' all about quality wattage. If you don't mind buying used you could get a practically brand new receiver off of someone that's real good for around 600. Check audiogon.com or videogon.com if you don't mind buying used. Usually there just about brand new. People like to upgrade their electronics all the time. Either to get a better sound or better match to their existing equipment. In away it's nice to have a neutral amp, because if your listening style changes it's much easier to change your tone. You may want to make sure it has multi room functioning, or an a and b speaker selector for outdoor speakers. This kills alot of deals for me as I like to hear some speakers outside grilling. I settled for a Harmon Kardon, because of this. If I have my nephews over they can be watching a 5.1 movie while I am listening to a cd player outside. Pretty sweet feature that sold me on that it's a 7.1 receiver, but I use the back two for multi room functions. Also preouts is nice for adding seperate amps down the road if you choose for a cleaner smoother more dynamic sound experience. I really don't care for any processing other than dolby digital, and dts I think the rest are a waste of noise. But Harman's logic 7 is pretty good actually. If you like the radio look for one with a good tuner. My harman has a great tuner, My old denon was horrable. That doesn't mean their all bad. Another nice feature that's usuable is a non global crossover for bass management. It will let you set every speaker at a different crossover just incase you have tiny speakers for surrounds, and a bigger center. Harman has this feature so you can redirect the bass to your mains or sub. How big is the dispay on the receiver can you read it easily from were your sitting? Does it have an on screen display? Is the remote programmable for other brands? Do you like the remote? The way it functions? That can be a big issue to some. These are a few questions you can ask yourself. What ever you descide look for a high current amp design that can dip in the lower ohms without having to switch it to 4 ohms manually. Look for power ratings that are taking from 20hz to 20,000hz. Not at 1k like alot try to get away with. It's just a way of saying it has more power than it really does, and alot of distorion you don't want anywhere above and below 1000hz. Good luck