Klipsch HT Speakers / Systems choices

pdalton

For the past several years, my HT speaker setup has been:

L&R Fronts: Klipsch Kg3s

Center: Klipsch KV3

Surrounds (2): NHT HDP-1s

Sub: NHT SW-1P (I think I'm remembering the model correctly)

As you probably can tell, this has been an "evolved" HT speaker system: I started with the pair of Kg3s well before AC3/Dolby Digital came along. Once it did, I decided to build on my Kg3s, rather than buying a pre-packaged 5.1 system, so I added the KV3 when it became available because it seemed to be a pretty close sonic match for the Kg3s.

I do remember that NHT's surrounds then seemed to be the best choice at the time because they were designed to achieve the diffused/reflected effect TRX suggested (dipoles? bipoles? I can't now remember the nomenclature, but each unit fires front and rear, with a third driver firing into the wall, and no direct-fire), while many other available surrounds were direct-firing, &/or angled (like the RS- series). Anyway, those NHT's Surrounds were well-rated, as was their Sub, so I went with those.

Notwithstanding it's "One Piece at a Time" background, I really have enjoyed this system greatly. I am, however, about to get married and "she" says that the 3 front Klipsch's are just too big and bulky looking to go with her 3-piece "Thomasville" Entertainment Center furniture, which we have agreed to keep and use. Because I already had been thinking about looking into replacing the surrounds and sub with Klipsch units, I didn't put up an argument and I just said that I would replace what I have with speakers that would be less obtrusive. Of course, I want those to be Klipsch.

I had a very pleasant and informative phone conversation yesterday with a Klipsch Support Tech, who highly recommended the Cinema 10 System (perhaps with an upgrade to the RW-12 sub). That system certainly will meet "her" criteria.

However, as I looked more online, I saw the RVX-54 System and thought it looked like a possibility. Then, I began considering the possibility of perhaps using the RSX-5s from the Cinema 10 as surrounds with the RVX-54s and the RVX-42, instead if the RSX-4s. I believe the RVX-54s could be mounted at each side of the "Entertainment Center" and that their length and narrowness would be acceptable in appearance. (Besides, and this may be irrational, but I LIKE the look of the RVX-54s & the RVX-42 much better than having 3 RSX-5s at the front.)

So, what I would appreciate is any opinions about doing any of the above, or combinations of pieces of each. (In truth, Klipsch descirbes the "system" for the RVX-54s with the RSX-4s as surrounds; but it seemed to me that the RSX-5s possibly might add more "life" to the surround locations -- but maybe I'm wrong? Or are they different from the RSX-4s in some other ways?)

The combo (except sub) options I see are:

Straight Cinema 10 system: 5 x RSX-5

Straight RVX-54 system: 2 x RVX-54; 1 x RVX-42; 2 x RSX-4

Modified RVX-54 system: 2 x RVX-54; 1 x RVX-42; 2 x RSX-5

I would appreciate suggestions/recommendations/cautions about any of these - particularly if anyone thinks that I would really be giving up anything by agreeing to go in this directions rather than insisting on staying with (and upgrading) my Kg3-based system.

Also, for any of those systems, I do want to end up with a 12" sub (but only one). Klipsch describes both the Cinema and RVX "systems" with the RW series subs. But what difference (+/-) would it make if I were to use an RSW-12 (rather than the RW-12) with any of those systems? I'm not sure I really understand the differences between the RWs and the RSWs.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.

- Paul

----------------

Which Receiver are you using, or plan to use ?

----------------

Onkyo TX-SV919THX

I suspect this reflects my enthusiasm about the announcement of Dolby Digital 5.1 (originally called AC3) back in the 1990s. This unit came out before the AC3 standard was quite finished, so it did not include an internal decoder. A separate decoding unit -- the ED-901 -- came out shortly thereafter; I have it, but I no longer use it, as it decodes ONLY AC3/Dolby Digital and not DTS; instead, I use the Dolby Digital/DTS decoder built into my Panasonic DVD player and had BetterCables build me a custom cable to connect the 6 outputs from the DVD player to the DB-15 connector on the 919.

At the time, I was impressed that ONKYO had obtained THX certification for it. I probably should have waited a while longer and avoided all the issues associated with having to do all decoding externally (that has limited my choices of DVD Plauers, for example). But it has been reliable and still sounds very good, and it has much more power capacity than I've ever really needed.

As I recall, the power is 100W to each of the 3 front channels & 50W to each of the 2 surround channels. When this unit was designed, I believe that ONKYO probably was working from a DD or THX spec that did not have equal amplification to all 5 channels, as I believe is the case with most DD surround receivers now.

This is probably the next place I will upgrade after speakers. I have been looking at Outlaw's line of products, either the receiver or some combo of their PreAmp/Amp separates (I haven't decided yet).

Hope this helps.

- Paul

I just came across 5 RSX-5s that are nearly new for $475. He's had them for sale for a bit, so I'd bet you could pick them up for a bit less than that. If you're interested, I'll send you his e-mail address.

David