Passionate and historical software

I listened to the RE master CD of Allman Brothers "Live at Fillmore East" disc one again tonight. Never have had a good vinyl copy to listen to in decades past. "Brothers and Sisters" and "Eat a Peach" are titles from ABB I have listened to repeately over the past 25+ years.

Short of calling it a religious experience; it is an amazing CD of the melting pot of rock. Blues, Jazz and the evolution of Country Rock in a live show from a bunch of long hairs.

Sad Duane died early he may have had more creative potential as a guitarist (slide definitly) than Hendrix. I have not bought any Jimmy remasters yet to compare their "feel".

Absolutely a great recording. I used to know it very well. THe guy that has my foosball table has that disc, too! I've got his Joe Cocker CD, but it still ain't square, as far as I'm concerned!

I used to DJ at one of the bigger (300+) bars in Fredonia (Old Main Inn), and some nights when the crowd was in a receptive mood, I'd play 'In Memory of Elizabeth Reed", then if they were digging it, I'd throw in "Mountain Jam", so I could take a walk around the block and twist one... I'd always have time to grab a drink and say hello before the Jam was over, too. Good times, IIRC!

Like you, Flynn I always return to the ABB original albums, the ones you mentioned, Idlewood South, and especially the original simply titled "Allman Brothers"..I too miss Duane's slide, Berry's bass, and now Dickey's guitar, though he's still alive. I must confess though, that Warren Haynes is one of my favorite players, and one of the hardest working guitarists in the business, what with spliting his time between the ABB and Gov't Mule. He certainly has kept the ABB sound alive.

They just don't make bands like that anymore, and to get back to the title subject..that remastered "At the Fillmore" is a fantastic recording!!

Steve

Listened again tonight while making dinner.

"SOUL" music defiitely is a weird desciptive term I avoid using but it work for ABB.

much different than Blind Boys of Alabama (Christina Soul); give them a listen if you have not experienced them

Flynn, "soul" is right on.

Any Mule should get you up and running, but "The Deep End" (studio) and the subsequent live DVD/CD "The Deepest End" are really fantastic. When Woody died, they brought in a bunch of guest bassists to make a record, then did the live thing afterwards. George Porter, Jr. shows that he is the absolute man with the P-bass, BTW. I saw him at Tipitina's in NOLA, and almost dropped my Dixie several times!