DIY speaker kits

Erukian

Yep, i think i'm back in the money-spending speaker business. I just got $300 back from tax returns plus a few people who owed me money got me another $500. so i got about 800 to spend on audio.

It's not that i dont have money, it's just that I refuse to take money I earn and put it into anymore audio stuff because it's more of a money hole. I've decided months ago that upgrading the the heritage line isnt exactly what I want to do coming from the klipsch RB-25's. I figure that bang-for-the-buck wise, i can get a really kickass and hands-on experience w/ building my own speakers using a kit.

I'm wondering if anyone in here has any experience with 2 channel full-range speaker kits.. I definately don't want to leave the horn-tweeter sound behind. There's plenty of sites out there for DIY speakers, but none of them really know where a klipsch horn fan is coming from besides you guys, so i'm wondering what you guys might recommend.

-Joe

I think you might be better off buying a used Hi-end Klipsch speaker with a little more money, (as a investment) that way if you sell later you would get your money back out. You build a kit speaker with hi dollor drivers , what do you have when you are done, a hand made, no name speaker that know one but you will might like, and be hard to get your money out of if you want to sell it down the road, just my opinion.2.gif

----------------

On 5/18/2005 3:18:51 PM Erukian wrote:

... because it's more of a money hole...

----------------

Hopefully somebody here can recommend a kit for you. I've found that building speakers from scratch creates a situation that you are trying to avoid - a money pit! There is always a better driver, or coil, or cap, or wire, etc... And that perfect crossover point is sometimes so elusive...

Don't get me wrong though, I love building speakers. I made many pairs, and I learned a bunch about speaker characteristics and crossovers. I mostly learned what doesn't work together, but I got it right more than not at the end. 3.gif

I don't konw how much of that you'll get from a kit.

If you read my earier post you would have seen I said to add some more money, also I have seen K-horns pairs for less than $1800. I have also seen CW's for $1,000, not every day but I have seen them. To me that is a better buy than a no-name kit, that no one might want in a few years.2.gif