chorus vs. forte

r.cherry

Chorus I uses the same midrange as Cornwall II (Chorus II, on the other hand, uses a tractrix midrange which gives a different sound). Cornwall II and Chorus I present a better, bigger-sounding midrange then the Forte can, although the Forte's no slouch. The Forte I shares the same midrange as my Heresy II, and I like it a lot (Forte II uses tractrix midrange, which produces a slightly different sound...less horn-like is how some people describe it). Insofar as Forte vs. Chorus midrange is concerned, the Chorus will basically give you more of a good thing.

Chorus I doesn't deliver the bass as low as the Forte will. This isn't to say the Chorus I "lacks" bass per se, but it doesn't dig as low as the Fortes do and you will notice a difference between the two.

Overall, Chorus I will deliver a "larger" sound then the Forte I, but this comparison is really a subjective issue depending on a) how low you like your bass and B) your approximate room size. It's been my experience that the larger Klipsches don't sound as good in smaller roooms. Room size and it's reflective/absorbent properties have a lot to do with how good a speaker will sound, all other things being constant.

In a normal room (12 x 14), the Fortes will have no trouble at all and personally speaking, I myself wouldn't want to go any larger insofar as speaker size is concerned.

There's so much to be said (again, in my view) of ensuring you don't have too much or too little speaker for your listening room. The bigger Klipsch definitely need room to "breath."

Hope this helps.

-H2G

I used to have the Forte-II and now have Chorus-II. I agree with the remarks above by heresy2guy. I went with the Chorus-II for more of a good thing .. slightly more dynamic, more natural sounding, a bit more picky about amplification. Forte definately goes a few tones lower, but I prefer the quality of the Chorus bass .. sounds less like a speaker and more like whatever is playing the bass.

Leo

I suggest a search here, has been discussed several times before. Gets people arguing at times.

The room size has the most bearing which speaker you go with. If you've got the room for the Chorus (16 x 14 is the minimum in my opinion for these) then go for it, otherwise, the Fortes will be more than just fine in a smaller to normal size room. Some will argue to the death here that the Chorus will sound fine in a closet, but I would caveat those comments.

thanks all,

no need to get emotions going... just saw a pair of chorus close by on ebay and thought hmmmmmmmmm.

i like my forte's, so i got to thinking, what if these others sounded even better. my room is 12x16 so it is no warehouse by any strech. i keep forgeting to SEARCH for prior threads. i bet chorus speakers would sound good in a closet. perhaps i should get them for my bedroom closet???? Hmmmm

r - I upgraded from Forte I to Chorus I (still have 3 Forte's for center/surround duties), and I definitely prefer the Chorus over the Forte, as good as they are. I have a sub doing the heavy lifting, so the bass on the Chorus is fine for me. And, I ran them for a year in a closet (10x10) and didn't feel that room was too small at all. Go for it, and keep the Forte's also.

----------------

On 5/19/2005 8:21:20 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

1. faster bass due to passive radiator----------------

Not to get off topic, and pardon my ignorance regarding the differences in these speakers, but please help me out here...

Faster bass due to a Passive radiator?

Perhaps you refer to a smaller woofer with increased transient response, or..., or..., or Anything other then a passive radiator....?

2.gif9.gif

Very rough theroy is that basic ports can make the low end sluggish and unnaturally bloomy in a way. Another minor cabinet resonance is a port itself.

As a woofer in a speaker cabinet with pasive radiator has excurrsion forward to produce the sound the passive radiator is "sucked into" its frame (and the interior of the cabinet sort of)to balance out the interior volume of the speaker interior. As the woofer cone retracts it moves back at a higher velocity; the passive radiator snaps it back in place so to speak.

Sealed cabinet on the Heresy home version works a bit the same. First long term exposure to Klipsch for me was the Heresey Industrial front slot ported in the 1970s; nice speaker but boy we owned crappy amplification back then.

In really good recordings I can hear the difference in kick drum, bass guitar amplified, Cello, bassoon and tympani definition. Maybe the lower end of amplified rock guitar power chords (cheap delusion).

Hope this helps and is not too technically inaccurate.

I wouldn't depend on a passive woofer to reinforce the primary active driver's transient response. The dynamics of the system you describe is similar (but not the same as) a 'quasi' isobarik loading, but this non-linear passive configuration exhibits as many negatives as positives...

As your active driver is in it's negative phase the acoustic loading is not as great as in a sealed enclosure, and the acceleration afforded is not as great. Additionally, energy is expended in moving the passive mechanical radiator resulting in a grossly non-linear system. Plus, as air is compressible, the elastic response will not be fast enough to significantly reinforce linear dynamic active driver behavior. All in all, if you want greater transient response, a passive radiator will afford little benefit. But it will reduce alternative port noise!

All in all, if you want greater transient response, a passive radiator will afford little benefit. But it will reduce alternative port noise!

+++++++++

Perhaps transient response is a stretch. Could perhaps dampen cabinet resonance

But

Some stats

-Chorus I was produced for only 3 years

-Chorus II was produced for 6 years before the debut of the KLF series

-Chorus II is listed as 6 hz lower bass to 39 hz than the I

-One rumor is Chorus II was last speaker development PWK was involved in the details of

-Chorus II implements Tractix mid horn

A puzzling question

Why add the part cost of passive radiator plus fasteners and associated labor for little value added performance?

Some one in the Klipsch Technical group must have liked the performance improvement to justify the significant additional cost.

There might be some horrid passive designs out there. I would imagine Q factor,internal dimensions and cabinet resonance play as much of a roll.

Chorus II's are simply awesome set up right.

Personally i feel two companies got passives right.

Klipsch and VMPS! or should i say "PWK and Brian Cheney"!

----------------

On 5/21/2005 11:46:24 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

The stuff I have read on the VPMS is very interesting. Never could find a dealer in MIchigan to audition them at.

----------------

Hi Audio Flynn,

I had a pair of the Tower 2 SE vmps. They sure did alot of things right and bass was one of them. But to my ears the chorus II horns just beat up on those ribbons.

I havent heard all the offerings of Mr. Cheney and i am sure as you move up the line there are dramatic improvements.

I actually could live with offerings from either designer.