The Drool Factor

Last night I was on my way home from work and I pass this Home Theater place that sits in an office plaza. The outside looks nice but didn't seem big enough to hold alot of equipment. I decided to stop in and see what this place is all about. It turns out that its a high end custom home theater design and installation place. I walked in and only one guy (the owner I think) was working in his office. I wanted to talk to him about acoustic treatments but I got distracted by all the amazing gear sitting in there. I peered into their "reference theater" and saw a bunch of glowing blue lights. I recongnized as McIntosh. I asked to see what he had in this room, and I couldn't beleive the level of equipment.

To start, he had 7 McIntosh 1201 monoblocks at 1200 watts each. Two of these amps were driving McIntosh XRT28's. I have never seen anything like these speakers, they have dual 10" drivers, 20 4" mids, and 16 1" soft dome tweeters. I don't know what center it was, but it was about five feet long. The surrounds were all McIntosh inwalls. The other big suprise was the dual sub set up. These subs were Velodyn Digital Drive 1812's weighing in at 385 lbs each. The 1812 has an 18" and 12" driver with a 2500 watt amp.

The owner told me that the entire system including the video side cost nearly $400,000.00 I have never felt so inadequate in my life.

Having seen this set up and thinking WTF, I know some of you have similar experiences that made you drool. Do share.

My drooling has happened at the Stereophile shows (which of course is not ideal since it is a public event)...

1. Vandersteen 5s powered by Jadis electronics and Richard V was turning the vinyl himself. WOW!!!!

2. Martin-Logan home theater. Had the $12K models up front and $5K models for rears. All McIntosh electronics. They were demoing Toy Story and it was the most effective surround sound I've heard to date.

I also heard some of the 6-figure "super" speakers at these same shows and none of them sounded as musical as #1 or as spooky as #2.

Jeff

Sounds like you went to visit the McIntosh dealer in Chandler, Ariz. Am I right? The guy' got some hot stuff in there. I try to avoid it when I can, unless I'm the mood to torture myself. Last time I was there he was still setting stuff up but it was clear the gear was great. At the time, I believe he had a pair of DALI Euphonia MS5s that I really enjoyed listening to.

My "drool factor" happens right here.

6 Cornwalls

2 JBL 4638 woofer cabs (each with 2 15" pro woofers)

McIntosh amplification with Krell preamplification

I've set foot in several high $$$ residences with big $$$$ HT's (not to mention demo rooms, etc)....and find that my "drool factor" is just as good, if not better - for a helluvalot less dough.

I have a car salesman friend who delivered a sold vehicle to the buyers residence. When he arrived, they began chatting and the subject of HT comes up. They go inside and the car buyer shows off his HT (obviously expensive) to my friend. After the demo, my friend says "you really need to meet my buddy, who has a really nice HT". My friend really didn't have the heart to tell him that much of his HT $$$$ got wasted.

With exception to my display, it is damn rare that I ever see a setup that makes me go "I really wish I had done THAT/could afford THAT". I'm pretty happy with what I have right here......all made possible by this very forum. It is the cure for audio envy.