Got my "new" speakers.

Yesfan70

There was recently an auction for a complete Klipsch speaker system (pr of 4.5, pr of 2.5, and a SW10-II sub) and a Sony receiver. I had emailed the seller about "pieceing it out" if the reserve wasn't met. Lucky for me, it didn't.

After exchanging emails and sending off my payment, I finally got the speakers in (minus the sub and receiver). I bought a pair of KG4.5s and a pair of KG2.5s to use in a future upstairs system.

The 4.5s sound very close to my KG5.5, but I was really suprised at how good the 2.5s sound. They sound much closer to my mains than my KV-2 center (I'm using one of the 2.5s, temporarily, as a center speaker).

The guy I bought them from seems to be a very cool person. He double boxed the speakers and even gave me his number if I need to know more info (which I did). He even called to let me know when he got the money order and when the speakers shipped, along with giving me the tracking numbers. Pretty cool huh.

The only thing I don't like about them (if I have to be picky), is the finish is black instead of medium oak like my other speakers. Besides that, they are perfect. I also hope that the money I have in my custom center pays off. The 2.5s are closer to my mains than I thought. The 4.5s/5.5s of course have it as far as bass extension goes, but they are very close in the mid to higher frequencies. Very surprising since the 2.5s are too small for the use of the Tractrix horn like the others.

I think if one were on a limited budget, 3 pairs of KG2.5s and a sub (or two) would be a great sounding bang for the buck home theater.

quote: "I think if one were on a limited budget, 3 pairs of KG2.5s and a sub (or two) would be a great sounding bang for the buck home theater."

Last year I set up my friend with my "old" speakers, two KG2.2s and a 2.2V, for about $250, and he bought two matching KG 1.2s as rears from ebay for $120, added a cheap Velodyne sub, and it is a wonderful system for a condo-sized living room. He couldn't be happier (although if he was a more discriminating listener, he should get a better sub). Those KG 2.x speakers are a perfect size for someone who can't accommodate huge speakers, yet make a great HT system with a sub.

What surprises me most is how musical the bookshelf KGs can sound. They are a great speaker (then and now) for the money.

Had I know then what I know now, I probably would have went with the KG2.5 back then in '94 when I bought my 5.5s to save on some money for a couple of subs.

The reason that the KG 2.5's sound closer to your mains is because they were designed too! They are part of the KG series line up. The KV-2 is not a match to the KG series, and neither are the KV1,2,3 or 4. They were designed to mate with the Epic series of speakers.