Just got in from the Joe Jackson/Todd Rundgren concert...

fini

todd_5-20.jpg

Great show! Opening act was a string Quartet (named Ethel), who came back out to play with both Jackson and Rundgren. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was awesome!! Highly recomended should they come to your town!

post-3580-13819266075592_thumb.jpg

fini,

I'll bet that was a great show. Thanks for the pictures. Todd Rundgren has always been a favorite of mine. I saw him a several times back in the '80s with Utopia - excellent band. Once in a small club in New Jersey where we were packed in like sardines. Once at the Philadelphia Zoo. I know it's hard to believe. I guess the camels were big fans. The last time was at Merriweather Post Pavillion, Columbia Md. On that occaision Utopia had a rather futuristic white stage set-up with the band all in white. The drummer John "Willie" Wilcox had an electronic drumset that looked like a white motorcycle. The first time I saw Todd was in February 1968 at the old Baltimore Civic Center with The Nazz. The rest of the concert bill that night was Spirit, Rhinoceros and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

I've never listened to Joe Jackson much, but I'd like to check out some of his music - any suggestions? I was recently listening to the Graham Parker anthology. Another artist from that same time period. I'd forgotten how much good music he had made.

I think I'll check the net to see what is available by Ethel. That had to be pretty interesting, hearing them play with Rundgren & Jackson.

----------------

On 5/21/2005 9:12:10 AM lovedrummin wrote:

... The rest of the concert bill that night was Spirit, Rhinoceros and Blood, Sweat & Tears.

----------------

You are the first person I've ever known who's heard of Rhinoceros. I don't know where I originally heard of them, but I had one of their albums. It may have been their only ablum for all I know. Pretty different for me when I was an acoustic guitar playing Kinston Trio, PP&M, James Taylor kinda person back then.

Marvel

----------------

I've never listened to Joe Jackson much, but I'd like to check out some of his music - any suggestions? I was recently listening to the Graham Parker anthology. Another artist from that same time period. I'd forgotten how much good music he had made.

----------------

I only have one or two Joe Jackson albums. One is "Night and Day." One of the tunes he did from this album ("Real Men") he performed with Ethel. Just friggin' amazing, man. Ethel is a bit like the Kronos Quartet, if you're familiar with them at all.

Jackson performed a Graham Parker tune last night. Not sure which one, though.

Heh, I remember Willie Wilcox's drumset! I saw Utopia at the Concord Pavilion during their POV tour. Agreed: a very tight band.

Looks like one more US date tonight, then off to Europe! MAX??!! (sorry, no shows in Greece8.gif )

----------------

I've never listened to Joe Jackson much, but I'd like to check out some of his music - any suggestions?

----------------

First, Joe's albums are superb recordings for semi-mainstream stuff.

Next, he's made some diverse recordings, so it depends on what you like.

"Look Sharp!" and "I'm The Man" are good solid retro pop/rock. A little more challenging than "Night & Day", which is his most accessible album.

"Jumpin' Jive" is my favorite album of his. Joe was the first on the retro-swing bandwagon (way back in '81). It contains some of the music he grew up with and is a fun set.

"Body and Soul" has a nice jazz flavor and is probably the best recording of the bunch.

After "Body and Soul", I sorta lost track of him. "Big World" is supposed to be another solid album, but I haven't listened to it.

Jeff

I thought Jackie Jackson was the oldest brother, then Tito, then Jermaine and Marlon. And then there's Randy and Johnny. Michael would make seven Jackson brothers in the Jackson 5, and then you bring up Joe. From your photo it looks like Joe Jackson is white, so am I correct in figuring he is the brother of the other white Jackson brother, Michael? That would still leave six black members of the Jackson 5, and that's not even counting Ronnie Rancifer. Are there two or three distinct families of Jacksons?

For fans of Bossa Nova, check out Rundgren's "With a Twist" release. Has some fun reworkings of his more well-known songs.