5.1, rear speakers "behind" or "beside" you?

Coytee

Quoted from Shade in another thread, but I didn't want to hijack that thread

"If you're wiring for 5.1, the surrounds would be on the sides of your sofa, or to the sides and a bit behind. Depends on the speakers, room, and personal preference.

For 6.1, same as the above, but with an extra speaker directly behind you.

For 7.1, surrounds on the sides of your sofa, with the 2 rears behind it. Spacing between the 2 rears again depends on the speakers, room, and personal preference."

I thought "surround" sound would have had the 5.1 setup with two speakers BEHIND you??

If your room is say, 16x24 and the 16' wall is the "front", would it be better to have the "rear" speakers beside you (at about 10' from wall, or behind you on opposite wall?

I always presumed it to be the opposite wall and I've prewired that way. Thankfully, if I prewired wrong, I have open studs still and can redo it.

If you are asking if your 2 surround speakers should be on the 2 walls beside you or the wall behind you, then the answer would be on the 2 walls beside you, slightly behind you and about 2 feet over your head while in the seated position.