The Aviator

gcoker

• Moderators

----------------

On 6/2/2005 2:10:53 AM nicholtl wrote:

Any, when I said jumped around on the timeline, I didn't mean in a non-linear fashion. My bad for the confusion. I simply meant it would jump over huge chunks of his life, skipping 5-10 years at a time, sometimes. I understand such a device was deemed necessary to cover such a long, eventful life, but I still felt it lost much of the power and emotion by doing so.

----------------

Gotya, Nic, and I completely agree. I found myself having to look closely at the little "time captions," doing the math to see where in the heck we were at now (and wonder, what happened during the past few years??).

----------------

On 6/2/2005 10:15:47 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

ygmn,

The name of the Hughes built ship used to raise part of the lost Soviet sub was the Glomar Explorer. The CIA (NSA?) was after the Russian codes and cryptography equipment.

Bill

----------------

Yeah thats it....short term memory here...or Someheimers...hehehe

thanks for the refresh

----------------

On 6/2/2005 10:15:47 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The name of the Hughes built ship used to raise part of the lost Soviet sub was the Glomar Explorer. The CIA (NSA?) was after the Russian codes and cryptography equipment.

Bill

----------------

Actually they tried to raise the sub only to have it break apart before they could get it to the surface - after one of the nuclear missles slipped from their silo and settled to the bottom, miraculously not detonating!

Thus they recovered nothing, and with its cover blown, it was mothballed and never used again.

A fascinating story!

----------------

On 6/3/2005 1:10:16 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Thus they recovered nothing, and with its cover blown, it was mothballed and never used again.

A fascinating story!

----------------

It was reworked about 4 years ago to actually drill for oil...and is still working today.....

Global Marine first rewored it but I thin kthey may have been bought out

found it ...

see here:

Company page:

http://www.glm.com

Brochure page:

http://www.glm.com/fleet/rigfacts/Explorer.pdf