HDTV

kde

You need the HD television set. Also if it does not have a built-in tuner you will need either a satellite system with the capability of (and subscription to) HD programming, or an OTA (over the air) tuner box to hook any conventional antenna to which will allow you to pick up local digital channels, most of which have HD content being broadcast, especially at night from the major networks. Or, a cable subscription and box from the cable company to receive HD content. The price has dropped on TV sets to well under $1K on some 27-30" models. I use a 32" monitor upstairs, but it is a conventional 4:3 screen due to constraints of the center it fits into. If I choose to, I can watch in the 16:9 format by switching to it with the satellite receiver or television itself for local OTA broadcasts. In the widescreen format the 32" picture becomes the same size as a 30" widescreen. Most satellite receivers are in the area of $250 and up, I have not personally seen them included in a cheapie satellite package anywhere. It also takes a special triple-LNB dish or multiple dishes to pick up all satellites to receive programming. The HD package is about $10 additional per month and I get ESPN-HD, Discovery HD Theater, HD Net, and one more. There is also HD programming for some of the premium stuff like HBO, etc. The OTA boxes are similar in cost but there is no money to watch locals broadcasting all the time. The big scam is how they advertise an antenna as capable of HD reception. ANY antenna currently in use will receive the digital broadcasts. Even if you do not watch HD all the time, one more benefit is that many of the locals broadcast a much better picture over their digital signals all day long and that alone is pretty nice too. Eventually all of the locals will be using their digital channels exclusively. Many think conventional sets will suddenly be useless but that is NOT necessarily true. There will be boxes that convert the new digital broadcasts into a downconverted analog format so you can keep using an older non-digital set. Right now most satellite receivers and cable boxes have outputs in both component and coaxial, so in essence you can already be using a non-digital set to view digital and HD digital programming if necessary. Another benefit of the digital broadcasts is that they can use surround-sound formats like DD. You just need to have a receiver capable of the digital formatted sound, and hook your satellite receiver/OTA box/cable box/etc. up to it using either an optical or coaxial cable to allow the digital sound to be decoded. All in all, digital/digital HD is the way of the future no matter how much some disdain it.

If my plan is to purchase the HDTV DirecTv satellite system, then it is not necessary to buy a TV with "HDTV Built-in", right? Is it correct to simply purchase a less expensive "HD Ready" model of the same unit since the DirecTv box will act as the HDTV connection?

Like everything involving any cost - it's subjective. However, if your looking for support to buy some expensive equipment, you're in the right place!

One note about the DVDs... since they're not HD (yet) you won't have the quality you might think you should. However, you would do WONDERS to go out and get yourself and "upsampling" DVD player. It makes a TREMENDOUS difference. I really like the one I have in my signature.

Watching TV in HD is fantastic as well. Watching sports is one of the best experiences, and I'm not that into watching sports on TV either! Prime time TV shows really pop.

Good luck!

I nearly forgot...

Before you go out and buy a bunch of expensive cables, see what comes with the equipment you have first. The DVD player comes with the DVI cable, which saves you about $100 if you were going to go with Monster. The people at BestBuy will try and tell you the Monster is a better cable and will make a difference in your viewing experience, but I personally can't see it.

You said you were going with DirectTV, so I don't know what they give you, but I know Comcast gives you an optical cable as well as composite connections.

Throw away (read: store for when you're in a crunch) your s-video and lesser connectors. They're an insult to your TV, and your TV will hate you if you feed it such an inferior signal.

One more thing... get yourself a UPS (uninteruptible power supply) and one that "cleans" the power. Protect your toys!

Good luck again!

I love it... I got the bug when a friend of mine showed it to me on his system.

I have the LG LST-3510A HDTV Receiver Tuner Hi-Format DVD Player - along with my Sony Wega TV -

First, I tried to get MediaCom to come out and install their box so we could get the HD signal - I ended up telling them to come pick up their box - it took too long to change the channels (very frustrating), and we a local station that my wife had to have whch they didnt have.

So, I ended up putting up a antana in my atic - that I can rotate with a remote. I live between to large sities, that allows me to pick up signals from both. Its the best thing right now, until the cable companys around here get better set top boxes. Plus its free.