8RE8's subwoofer

mike stehr

download.php?id=21

A local guy I know built this thing. He had painted with the bed liner paint at a shop that does that sort of thing. It looks real sharp with the bed liner coating.

Those are four inch ports, and he made some rubber stoppers to block the ports and change the tuning from 30 to 50 Hz, and has multiple binding posts for different wiring configurations.

one and a quarter inch MDF was used throughout.

I listened to it yesterday in a Bronco with a 150 watt 4 ohm Alpine amp. It was clean, real clean bass. The amp may have a soft clipping or some sort of compression limiting.

Low distortion bass, even at high levels.

140 Db he's pulled off so far. A good plate amp, and this would would make a nice HT sub or for 2 channel.

The damn thing Growls at 52 Hz with 150 watts, rather efficient.

It produced a pretty unique looking enclosure with it's 8 Resonant Engineering 8" drivers but it seem like an unusual choice of woofer for a relatively cubic box.

I haven't taken the time to model it, but do you know what lead your friend to choose this layout? I say unusual in the cost/performance/size perspective... As using smaller drivers can give a builder the option of building some unconventionally shaped enclosures not possible with dual 15"s, but will cost more too.

For example... imagine matching a pair of RF7s matched with a couple of tall narrow subs using an array of 8" drivers... (not necessarily those RE8 which are tuned toward car audio). I think it can be interesting... 1.gif

Rob

----------------

On 6/7/2005 10:57:39 AM formica wrote:

""I haven't taken the time to model it, but do you know what lead your friend to choose this layout?""

I think it's mostly about performance and SPL. The guy is into all sort of aspects audio, but his passion is car subs, walls, etc.... He's the guy with the two Tumult 15's in the 16 Hz ported enclosures for his home system that I posted.

I would have to ask him to really answer your question, something with the idea of getting high SPL numbers with smaller drivers....I don't know......

""I say unusual in the cost/performance/size perspective... As using smaller drivers can give a builder the option of building some unconventionally shaped enclosures not possible with dual 15"s, but will cost more too.""

Yup.

""For example... imagine matching a pair of RF7s matched with a couple of tall narrow subs using an array of 8" drivers... (not necessarily those RE8 which are tuned toward car audio). I think it can be interesting...
1.gif

Rob""

In a visit with this guy the other day, he was pondering (all audio dorks always ponder) doing a di-pole array set-up using eight Eminence 18 inch high sensitivy woofers....or the subwoofers...I can't recall if Eminence makes a 18 inch sub.

I thinks he is refering to the woofers. Four 18 incher's in a di-pole array on each side, something like that.

----------------