A Must! Porcupine Tree Deadwing

SCOOTERDOG

Scooter I remember you bringing this band up quite awhile back. I have been slowly trying to get soundbytes, and info. I've seen them on the B&W homepage also. I was actually paying attention. I have dial up, and it's very slow for something like this. I just did the link you posted, and it's taken forever. But I am liking what I am hearing. So far the tune "shallow", "halo", "arriving", "open car", are kind of grabbing me. I may have to buy this one. "Something beautiful's" bass in it reminds me of the tool's bass player. Especially the beginning of it. "Glass arm" is a little to like I got a bad fever for me. "So called friend" ( I am really liking this one! Yeah!) again sounds like tools bassist is playing ( Is it? ). I don't know but man that's a killer bass player. That's one of the bigggest reasons i even dig tool is for the bass players riffs. I am writing as I am waiting for my slow arse internet to give me these sniblets. "Half light" is to much like I need to get off my meds now nurse. I am feeling better please help me I can barely see. "Deadwing" finially downloaded which is weird being it's the first tune. I really like this tune. This music is far to interesting to pass up. I have to get this now. I have a friend I know will freak when he hears this. I got to get it, because now I need to hear the whole songs. Is there any difference in the special edition? I'm actually feeling bummed, because i cannot continue to listen to this album right now. Thanks Scooter for what could be something really special. Time will tell.

I have both the DVD Audio Version (MLP, DTS, PCM 2Ch) and the 72 page Special Edition which has Deadwing in DTS 5.1. The DVD Audio is just an amazing recording, one of the best I have.

I'm glad you liked the snippets, that was the whole reason for posting the link. These guys are just awesome. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here is a 12 minute opus that is to die for, I love this song. It goes thru at least 4 complete chages and it just freakin kicks butt. Go by it, you won't disapointed.

scooter

Got it! Plan on buying more especially the other one you recomended Scooter. "In Absentia" but this time I am going for the dvd audio .Ths kind of music was invented for that format. I think they won a grammy for the dvd audio mixing of "In Absentia". This music grows on you big time. It's there and its' good. Ambient, melodic, jazzy sometimes, heavy sometimes, very prog, just plain talent. You were right on "Arriving somewhere ( but not here)".

Great CD--

I had never heard of this band--I just got Deadwing yesterday because of this thread and listening to some samples. Thanks for posting this--I'm always looking for great progressive rock--and this is a keeper. There's lush lovely parts mixed with heavy guitar parts and great interludes of effects and keyboards. Great songs and lyrics, and the vocals while not mind-blowing are perfect for the soundscapes--

After I've played this a few hundred times, what Porcupine Tree comes next?

I ordered "In Absentia" it's probally in the mail today. I hope! I got in the surround format it looks like it read DTS. It will be tough to take deadwing out though. I am loving this album. I hope this new one doesn't detract from that, but I hope it's great also.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 7/1/2005 11:36:39 PM SCOOTERDOG wrote:

Ok I could not let this post go to page 2. If you have not heard PT then go to this site, if you have go anyway.

scooter

LOL yes sir. I just got in in absentia. It's alot harder for me to get into than deadwing. I just LOVE deadwing. I got the dts audio version of in absentia, and it's got great surround to it. It's just song for song deadwings better to me. It seems to flow better and keep my attention plus it's a tad more aggressive. Don't get me wrong blackest eye and others rock on there. Maybe it will just take awhile to get used to. I think I will put deadwing back into rotation. I gave it a break before i overplayed it. Good recomendation I would love to hear other albums by them. I hear there all pretty different from each other. I guess the lead singer ( Steven Wilson) produces alot if not all of Opeths' albums. Maybe thats' where the heavier side is coming into effect.

----------------

----------------

On 6/18/2005 1:52:54 PM nicholtl wrote:

Sounds like Steve (Skonopa), Dave (Rdmarsiii), and I - fellow prog-metal heads - must pick this up too!

----------------

After reading this thread and all the recomendations, I decided to go check it out myself. I'll admit that I do like it! It took a little bit of growing on me at first though.

I would say they are somewhat kinda like Tool in thier sound, although that is a bit of stretch. Some good stuff - love that friggan harddrive guitar! Sounds awesome on my setup. This is another good one to annoy the neighbors with (especially the ones that like to thumb thier car bass right in front of my house) 11.gif

----------------

On 7/3/2005 10:19:27 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 6/18/2005 1:52:54 PM nicholtl wrote:

Sounds like Steve (Skonopa), Dave (Rdmarsiii), and I - fellow prog-metal heads - must pick this up too!

----------------

After reading this thread and all the recomendations, I decided to go check it out myself. I'll admit that I do like it! It took a little bit of growing on me at first though.

I would say they are somewhat kinda like Tool in thier sound, although that is a bit of stretch. Some good stuff - love that friggan harddrive guitar! Sounds awesome on my setup. This is another good one to annoy the neighbors with (especially the ones that like to thumb thier car bass right in front of my house)
11.gif

----------------

Skonopa which one did you get? Sort of like Coldplay meets Tool meets Filter.. with some jazz in there. Lots of influneces really to many to name. I love how Arriving somewhere ( but not here, off the deadwing album) starts off so mellow and builds up to that old school thrash riff then right down to a smooth jazz guitar. Amazing how they pull it off without sounding extremely wrong. Its mixed together so well.

Skonopa,

Glad to see you have joined the ranks of PT followers, Deadwing is outstanding!

In Absentia is another great disc but is different then Deadwing, which is good. The great thing about PT or Steve Wilson is he never tries to repeat himself when doing a new disc. Crank it up and enjoy!

scooter

I just took your guys' advice and bought a copy of Deadwing as well. Although I'm only halfway through listening to it (had to leave town for the 4th), from what I've heard so far, it's outstanding! The mix between full-out rock songs and those slower tunes is really, really something. Great recommendation, Scooter. I am highly enjoying it. And it sounds f__king great on my system too! Loud enough to kill a porcupine!