Infinite Baffle subwoofer

bitece

Anyone heard of this? I'm planning on building an IB subwoofer for my home theater. I just received 4 15" subwoofers from Acoustic Elegance. I'm going to build a manifold with 2 sets of drivers on each side firing at each other and powered by a Behringer 2500 pro amp. Not including the OSB and plywood I've spent $800 for the subwoofer.

I believe formica is going this route and I plan on using the 4 AES IB 15" drivers someday as well. In the right room you could theoretically get response down to 5Hz at 120dB with those drivers 10.gif (only takes 500 watts too).

So where will they be installed?

I just finished my IB. Well.....all but the trim. I used 4 Avalanche 18's and a Behringer EP-2500. I haven't put the BFD inline yet, so it's not EQ'd. Even still, it's pretty impressive. The SQ is unbelieveable. The Eagles live CD "Hell Freezes Over" Hotel California track starts out with a kick drum. My SVS's put out bass that sounded like Godzilla was in the house when I cranked it up. Very impressive. With the IB on the same track now, same level it sounds like I'm inside a huge kick drum. And movies......... fugeddaboutit. The Incredibles at totally uncomfortable listening levels doesn't come close to bottoming it out. I haven't got the stones to see what It'll do, but maybe soon.........

IB bass doesn't travel any further than bass from a traditional box sub at the same SPL. I actually have less annoying buzzes throughout the house with my IB than I did with my previous box/tube setup. The IB is located near the ceiling now and my old subs were on the floor, that may have something to do with it . Lack of a resonating box may contribute also.

" IB bass doesn't travel any further than bass from a traditional box sub at the same SPL. "

That depends on where you are venting to and how the listening room is constructed. For those that can vent outside and don't have nearby neighbors an IB can be a great setup.

I built my room to limit sound transmission in and out of the room so that I could use it without disturbing the rest of the house. I would have liked to try an IB but I couldn't do this and keep the isolation I wanted without wasting a lot of additional floor space either outside the room (building another small room for the backwave) or with large enough sealed enclosures so that they were effectively IB setups too.

Shawn