RF(C)-7 finish

GOPHER

I just had a $150 estimate to repair the finish of my lovely RC-7 center channel. I left a vinyl wallet size thing on top of the speaker coupled witht the heat from the amplifier above, well it marred the lacquer. Took it to an experienced refinisher and he said it basically was a crap finish to begin with and at first thought it was a photographic laminate. Upon further inspection he said it is probably is an extremely thin Birch veneer with a cherry stain. Is this true? I'm really dissapointed with what I thought was a pretty nice speaker. Live and learn I guess?

There is no way to tell if its thin, but you have to be VERY carfull when sanding, do it with fine grit and dont do it much.. just take off the lacquered. You can probably do the prep work yourself and then have it stained/painted by someone else.

You can use lacquer thinner to remove a lacquer, no need to use sand paper at all. After removing all the finish in this manner, you can refinish with another lacquer. You could alternately sand the sides instead, but I would strip instead. If it is a poly finish, you must sand it, cannot be stripped with thinner. Call 1-800-klipsch to find out for sure what they used.

See your local cabinetmaker, he might be able to fix you up. Remove all the components first, and strip off the lacquer with thinner and rags, save yourself some money.

Crap finish?

I don't think so.....maybe they could make the speakers out of solid cherry wood then triple or quadruple the price of the speaker.14.gif

Holy cow, go to ANY fine furniture store and walk around behind those "fine" multi thousand dollar peices of furniture and take a closer look. Same or less quality as these speaker cabinets.

.....and Birch veneer is a very common.

It's not crap, most all speakers that use real wood, are veneer. It's better than the fake wood (vinyl). Being veneer vs. solid wood has nothing to do with your problem. You can't leave something like that or the air gets trapped and causes moisture build-up. I did this very same thing to a solid wood coffee table (mahogany) by leaving a vinyl place matt on it and after a while it really messed it up, leaving a permanent imprint. Don't believe everything someone tells you, the guy didn't make the speaker and sometimes people tell you anything to get your business. If you get out and look at many speakers, you will find that Klipsch did a pretty good darn job for the price!! Some of the reviews give the Klipsch Reference a very good rating for finish, with a quality furniture grade approval. You did good, so don't get un-happy, be happy!! 9.gif

• Like 1

The veneer quality is good!

It's easy to do the work yourself, but if you don't want to, ALWAYS get a second or third opinion!

Some people over-change what another will do for much less. I come across this all the time, so find someone else that can do it for a better price. It's simple to fix, I do this type of fixes all the time. Good Luck.