Amp for B3's and EMU 0404

MD1032

Hey, I'm getting a job this summer which means I'll be able to pick up a pair of B3's finally, and upgrade my Chaintech AV-710 to an EMU 0404. I've decided to get a pair of B3's after all of the rave reviews I see on them. What would be the best amp I could get that would do a decent job getting from A to B, and yet keep it cheap (like uner $100)? I've heard of those Sonic amps or whatever they are, but am skeptical.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 2:56:58 PM MD1032 wrote:

Hey, I'm getting a job this summer which means I'll be able to pick up a pair of B3's finally, and upgrade my Chaintech AV-710 to an EMU 0404. I've decided to get a pair of B3's after all of the rave reviews I see on them. What would be the best amp I could get that would do a decent job getting from A to B, and yet keep it cheap (like uner $100)? I've heard of those Sonic amps or whatever they are, but am skeptical.

----------------

Your best bet would be to get a Teac A-L700P amp from www.needledoctor.com if you want to keep it under $100. It really is much better than anything else you can get for $100.

With regards to the EMU, I've heard mixed opinions about it, where some people prefer the lower specced M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 because it seems more "musical". I haven't heard either card, so I cannot judge, but you might want to find out for sure.

Also, when you're purchasing a card, buy it from samash.com, you get 15 months of interest-free payments.

P.S. If you're interested in losing that AV-710, you can always send it my way.

By under $100, I kind of meant more around $25-75 or so. But if anyone else recommends the amp you suggested, I'll take your word for it and spring on it.

edit: BTW, I'm basically aiming to build a killer system for under $500, that has lots of punch and bass. According to rdmarziii's accounts, the B3 will deliver, and I've already decided on the EMU 0404.

very nice choice with the e-mu, i have the 0404 + teac al700p + rb-25's (not too different from your system).

There's only three amps I can recommend under 200. That's the Teac for 99, the sonic impact which lacks bass unless you mod the input DC capacitors (then the bass below 80hz comes back up big time).

You can buy that here http://si5.com/frontEnd/cm_productDetail.jsp?productID=18 but i'm sure there's cheaper places online. Keep in mind with the Sonic Impact you have to have money put aside for the AC Adpator.

And the good old HK 430 on ebay, can't go wrong with this one.

Either way, if you can get your hands on a tripath chip, the 0404 and some klipsch speakers, your in for one of the most detail-revealing systems around. if you REALLY cant stretch out for the $99 teac and get the sonic impact, you are going to lose bass, i highly recommend you mod it or find someone who can if you decide to go the cheaper route.

Even if you dont mod the Sonic Impact, i can help you set up a couple shelf equalizers in your EMU patchmix that'll bring the bass right up to level but if your using batteries to power it, the extra bass output will drain em faster.

Good luck!

-Joe

----------------

On 6/12/2005 7:23:13 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

i have the EMU ...

lot's better than the Chaintek ..of corse, you can't beat that for $25 ..

----------------

that's odd. i've heard the exact opposite numerous times. they claim the 0404 was an upgrade over the 710, but not so much to warrant the costs (playback wise exclusively).

are you sure you had your 710 set up to use the higher quality wolfson DAC?

Right, the AV-710 isnt THAT much worse than the 0404. And a modded AV-710 really fly's as well, but so does a modded 0404/1212m with all BlackGate caps.

The AV-710 is a great choice if you plan to just use it for stereo playback, but make sure you have it set up so your outputting to the wolfson dac like what tofu said.

If your going to be playing games, watching movies, listening to music but NOT recording anything (except maybe a microphone for games) then the AV-710 is WHAT YOU SHOULD BUY, it has a very rich sound stock, the 0404 is better, but is it worth 4x the cost? it's up to you.

If i had a choice and if I were in the buyer's shoes today. I'd save $75, buy the AV-710 and put the money into the Teac.

-Joe

----------------

On 6/12/2005 10:35:31 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

the Wolfson DAC only works on the surround sound channels ...

----------------

no, it can be set up to use it for the front channels with stereo playback. this is the whole reason this card is so popular.

Their both neutral amps. The HK has a plesant sound, but to me. The Teac has a MUCH more realistic sound if you will.

What's the better deal? I believe the Teac is, but then again it's my opinion. I owned a vintage HK solid state and then I'll use this word, upgraded to the Teac. Their both great, the Teac can be had for $99 minimum, most of the time you can get the HK 430 cheaper than that. the HK was the "bang for the buck - deal of the year" amp for a few years until people started trying out modded sonic impacts and teac's (basically tripath amps that are built using decent parts).

Keep in mind if you get the Teac, it's a good idea to get a preamp or if your using a computer, have volume keys on your keyboard, reaching around and adjusting the gain one channel at a time isnt the funnest thing in the world. Either way, but if i had a choice, it's the Teac which gives you lots of room for modding potential in case you want to get into that later down the road.

Oh, and it gives you just a little flavor of the best of Tubes and SS gear, but it definately has it's own texture.. people knock it for the soundstaging, but modding it with good parts will completely destroy those statements. :)

-Joe

• 1 year later...