The Machinist DVD

wheelman

Christian Bale stars in this suspense movie about an insomniac who works at a factory. He hasn't slept for like a year. The toll it takes on him is intense. He is so skinny. I cannot believe this guy went through these great lengths to do this movie. You wonder what's going on as the movie unfolds. Is there someone messin with him, or is his mind messin with him? Very good film it may be to disturbing for some people. Worth a rent to you suspence lovers.

I want to check it out, I saw a preview of it and it looked pretty interesting.

I saw Christian Bale do an interview a couple weeks ago and he said he lost 63 pounds while he was making that movie, then had to turn around and gain 100 pounds to do Batman Begins. That is really being dedicated to your work.

This is an AMAZING movie. But...it's definitely an art piece. As such, those who want only non-stop action, or mindless escapist entertainment need not apply. I loved this movie so much I debated on whether or not to put it on my top-10 list of all time. In the end, it didn't make it, but it's still very highly regarded by me. The twists, plot, and character development exemplify storytelling at it's best. And yes, Bale's transformation (he weighed about 125lbs in the film) is astounding.

• Moderators

Are you kidding? I OWN American Psycho. Christian Bale has got to be the best in the category of the most unrecognizable actors around (and a lot better than most of the recognizable ones). I'm sure that's all about to change now that he has a "blockbuster" out in Batman Begins. I hope he keeps his low-profile ways. It appears to me that he respects acting as a craft, and not just a way to be rich and famous.

my partner and I watched this the other night, amazing we kept looking at each other to see what the others opinion was, great movie. on several different levels, suspense, Gore, psychological, a touch of frontal nudity, not to mention how skinny he became for the movie.

talk about portraying a good guy, "you used to be such a good tenant". This will definately be in my collection.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally saw this from Netflix. Damn--he's skinny.

Its great the film industry can get creative, involving movies like this made. It was made in Spain (but made to look like LA) becuase that's where the financing was--

Christian Bale lost some 67 pounds off his 180 frame to look like the skeleton that is his character. No sleep for a year starts to make him wonder if he's seeing things--

If you like great endings in offbeat tragic stories--this'll haunt you--

• 3 weeks later...