Improving my new Heresy's

I must be bitten by the bug. First it was my $200 La Scala's that I had Dean rebuild the networks on and did the rope caulk treatment and they sound so good. Next I found a pair of Heresy's for the other room and my new Jolida tube amp is coming tomorrow. A few questions. First off, the last owner said the Heresy's were 84's. They are serial number 8450834 and8450838 and have E-2 crossovers. So, is that an 84?

I went to replace the terminal strip on the back with some nice binding posts and see the back plate is thinner wood than the sides. Would it make sense to add dampening material to it to improve bass? Also, is there anything to be gained by doing the rope caulk treatment on the mid-horn? Carl

I've only read negative reviews about damping the heresy cabinet, but I wouldn't hesitate to change out the rear panel with a thicker one. The first two numbers in your serial start with 84, so that's when they were made. The heresies ring like no other at louder volumes so the rope caulk isn't a bad idea either.

If your speakers are Heresys and not Heresy IIs than I believe the "5" is actually an "S" and your Heresys were made in 1978 with the E2 network...I have a pair from this year (BR) and love them...I am a fan of Heresys. I have seen no need to change the back or do the rope caulk mod yet...if your Heresys are in fact 1981s, then your Mid Horn is metal and you may want to try this...I have not felt the need but since you have done this on your 'Scalas you may prefer this sound.

Enjoy,

Bill

Cue is correct...Edited because I didn't drink coffee first...15.gif

----------------

On 6/21/2005 8:43:46 AM silversport wrote:

If your speakers are Heresys and not Heresy IIs than I believe the "5" is actually an "S" and your Heresys were made in 1981 with the E2 network...I have a pair from this year (WO) and love them...I am a fan of Heresys. I have seen no need to change the back or do the rope caulk mod yet...if your Heresys are in fact 1981s, then your Mid Horn is metal and you may want to try this...I have not felt the need but since you have done this on your 'Scalas you may prefer this sound.

Enjoy,

Bill

----------------

I think this is bad information. I believe 'S' would be 1978. At least according to this site:

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/klipsch_date_codes.htm

Also, since you say it has an E-2 network, I think the serial number is correct at 1984

Rope caulk only metal horns, put a glob on the sides of the tweeter horn as well.

Do not add 'dampening' materiel to stuff the cabinet interior, but you could put a thin layer on one each of two parallel sides to stop cabinet 'ring'.

Stiffening the back is okay. Add a doubling panel outside to keep cabinet internal volume the same, or engineer a new back from 3/4 material.