Altec 511b installation in my K-horns - All done!

Seadog

I finished installing Altec 511b horns in my '89 K-horns on Father's Day weekend.

A friend and fellow-Hornhead recently upgraded to ALK Trachorns in his K-horns and I was fortunate to get the Altecs that he had been using before the Trachorns.

This is the K-401 as it was about to be removed.

159156-R1-24-1.JPG

post-14182-13819266749892_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the left speaker with the 511b and the K-77. The tweeters are now mounted vertically. This seems to improve the imaging. The hole where the tweeter is mounted was originally cut for a Beyma tweeter (future upgrade for me??).

159156-R1-09-16r.JPG

post-14182-13819266757492_thumb.jpg

Here is a completed speaker with grill. Notice the grill is larger and the strips of wood above and below the stock K-horn grill are now covered. I like the look of the stock grill better, but I like the sound of these much better!

More detailed comments on the improved sound to come. But I will just say that everything that I have heard about these improving the clarity and enlarging the sweet spot are absolutely true!

159156-R1-11-14R.JPG1.gif

post-14182-13819266758126_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/22/2005 8:04:39 AM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Seadog,

That installation looks very firmiliar!

Believe me, you're going to love the new sound!

Al K.

----------------

Al,

Great workmanship on that assembly! Aside from having to notch the inside brace pieces on the sides and top of the K-horn, the assembly fit like a glove!

Its all the more amazing that they fit into the 89 K-horns as well as it did in the 70s vintage K-horns that they came from. Klipsch has obviously kept the overall dimensions very close over time.

As for the sound, even my son immediately noticed a difference. When we had just one speaker completed, we did some A/B comparisons. He said, Dad it sounds really good even with just one speaker.

The K-401 has a definite hot spot, whereas the 511b sounds consistent over a much wider angle, and even well off-axis, the 511b clarity is better than the K401 in the sweet spot. I really noticed this most in the voices. Detail seems to be more resolved as if the 511b is not competing with the tweeter (perhaps the vertical orientation of the K-77 has something to do with this also?).

Maybe someday Ill consider Trachorns, but for now Im very please with the results from the Altecs.

David

I do not understand you guys at all.

If the Klipsch 400 Hz horn leaves a hole between itself and the bass horn, then the Altec 500 Hz horn surely leaves a BIGGER hole! Klipsch started out at 500 and went to the 400 in order to try and fill that hole.

You guys like the Sound of Silence? or What?

----------------

On 6/22/2005 4:38:52 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Seadog,

I can't take credit for the workmanship on that. Bob did it!

I don't think there is any doubt that the K400 horn leavs a bit to be desired! It's been demonstrated many times.

Al k.

----------------

Bob, great workmanship on those assemblies 1.gif. BTW, I decided to remove the Dynamat in favor of the caulk.