Big speakers, powerful amp - small room, sound is suffering:

kenratboy

As you all know, I have a insaine amount of gear in a small room (The F3/C3/B3 system and the HK receiver) - small as in bedroom (13' X 13'6 X 9' - I sit <6' away from the front three speakers).

It sound good, very good, but when I crank it up, things start to get a bit funky (mostly for movies) - basically, I think the speakers are SOOO powerful, and the room sucks, the mids and highs are just overtaking the room. For example, in iRobot in the 'You are experiencing a car crash' scene, everything is open and clean, but things seem to 'linger' and the room just gets overpowered by sound.

This was not unexpected and the reason I have these BIG speakers is for my next (first!) house in a few years when I have a big family room HT.

WHAT I AM ASKING - is this common? Too much speaker in a small room will simply overpower things? The room is small, and the acoustics are decent (whole back wall is a bedsheet curtain)

Totally common, dude. My bedroom is about the size of yours too, and if you check my profile, I have a pretty insane amount of gear in here too. The stuff I have in here used to be my living room setup, but as it got upgraded, components got relegated to the bedroom. And...they sounded wide and open out there, but sound compressed and, as you so properly put it, FUNKY, in here.

So like you also said, until we get a full-on house, you just gotta make do. Sucks, but hey, so do bad drivers. Hey, I'll bet the chicas ain't complainin though, know what I'm sayin?

I have 3 La Scalas up front in a room 15 X 15 X 8 and I have the same problem. It sounds great up to a certain volume with movies or music but once you turn up the volume a little more they overpower you. I guess we need bigger rooms!!

xman

Stop complaining kids,the amount of gear you have is tiny compared to the piles of amps,AC stabilisers/cleaners/subs/speakers in a 14*10 foor room.

Four RF7's,two RF5's,RC7...PolkAudio PSW404/505/Klipsch RSW15/12/10,Sunfire Signature/Mark II/Super Junior/two Carver SK subs/ATI 1505/2505,Sunfire Theater Grand....I could go on and on...

6.gif11.gif

And it sounds good,I have added sound traps,and four bass traps.Carpet now covers the complete floor.And most important...the acoustical output is out of this world.

Today after a month of inactivity I decided to fire this secondary system,and play Rage Against The Machine..the type of music so many aged old farts(read older snooty audiophiles love).

I tell you my ears were cleaned and the dust flew off,the subs had almost no part on the show but damn the RF7's mated to BIG solid state powerhouse amps shure move some air 9.gif

Not as refined mind you as my smaller Dynaudio Contours in the much larger room but fun to listen and the trademark Klipsch chainsaw high 3.gif he he a compression driver like Klipsch uses in the larger R series will spit out signal with no softening of a soft dome direct radiating tweeter.

----------------

On 6/22/2005 10:01:20 PM tkdamerica wrote:

img_00011.jpg

I also have a small room but a high A-Frame ceiling--Acoustically it really helps. I run a "9.2" setup with a Denon 4802R...Incredible!

----------------

Wow!

That little cannon is cool.

Ears...How do you like those polk subs? How do they compare to subs in the same price range (infinity,klipsch,jbl).Does Polk make the drivers or do they have them made by another manufacturer?

Im thinking of buying a new sub in this price range.I've heard those Polks are a great bang for the buck.I need something to help with my bottom end but I don't need plaster cracking bass.

PS ...I'm getting rid of my SVS2039pci,too big.

The PolkAudio PSW were fine for the price when I purchased them,but the new Klipsch Sub-12 is superior to the PSW505.

You would have to A/B the PSW505 and Sub-12 to see(hear) the gain in performance the SUb-12 brings.

I used the PSW404 and 505 as ...PC subs as part of a PC speaker system.I would never use these as serious HT or music subs.Simply too colored for my taste.That is that

Thanks for the tip Ears, that kind of info. is always better coming from someone who has had extensive in-home listening experience.As far as the sub 12 goes I've been trying to demo it's not at my local BB last I checked.And that's another point,the displays at BB ,crappy.The display at BB is messy , looks like a back room storage area with wires hanging out and speakers turned around the wrong way. I wonder if Klipsch knows this is going on.The JBL stuff is always squared away (right next to Klipsch) but the Klipsch stuff is in dissarray.Well I guess you get the kind of help you pay for....