PRE PRO - OUTLAW 990

faroutback1

----------------

On 6/24/2005 8:08:38 PM pythagore wrote:

I ordered one as well. It shipped yesterday and should receive it on Monday, but won't have time to play with it until next Friday.

Hopefully, it'll sound better than my HK AVR525

----------------

You definitely MUST let us know how it sounds after you've played with it.

Look on the AVS forum under amps receivers and processors. There are a few discussions about the 990. I've read that it sounds better then the 950, but not as good as the big boys. For the money you can't beat it. That's what Outlaw is all about, the biggest bang for the buck.

----------------

On 6/24/2005 9:23:25 PM meuge wrote:

You definitely MUST let us know how it sounds after you've played with it.

----------------

I definitely will. I read a lot of good stuff about this Pre/Pro but still a bit skeptical.

Q-MAN,

I've been reading posts on almost every forums regarding the 990. I posted a few topics on the AVS, Outlaw forums as well, hoping to get some feedbacks before deciding to buy it.

In that case,I'll add a little more.

I got into this game with a Yamaha RX-V2092 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver with two extra channels for front effect speakers and a pair of LaScalas. Two or three years went by and I spent all my time trying different speakers for the center, surounds, and front effect channels. I liked how that receiver sounded with Klipsch.

Then out came DTS, DVD-Audio, SACD so I needed a new receiver to support the new formats. Trere was no question about it, I wanted another Yamaha so I bought the RX-V3000. Remember that I like the Yamaha sound, and wanted to continue to have Front Effect channels. The speakers were now Klipschorns and more LaScalas all around. Two or three more years slipped by and I spent that time building and modifying speakers and networks with the aid of a few Forum members. I finally make the Klipschorn be all that it can be, to my taste anyway, so I moved to the amps. I now used the RX-V3000 as a processor to seperate power amps. I finally ended up with 10 channels powered my Mcintosh amps. Big improvement over the Yamaha amps. They sound really nice powering the modified Klipschorns.

Now PLIIx is out and I want to see what a seperate processor will do to improve the sound. I looked at the Anthem AVM-30,and the Parasound Halo C-1 & C-2 the hardest out of about 6 others. While I was making up my mind on which processor to buy I decided to buy an Outlaw 950 to hold me over. It had better surround steering

then the Yamaha. The center channel is much better then the Yamaha. Bass is slightly weaker then the Yamaha. The Yamaha didn't have as much air, but it had a slightly warmer sound. The 950 should serve most people well, and like I said, the 990 is supposed to sound better then the 950. I sent it back before the 30 days were up. I'm looking for, or want a different sound.

I went with the Parasound Halo C-1. Why? Remember those front effect channels that I was talking about? The Parasound has them, and I'm told that it's a notch above the AVM-30 in sound quality.

Time will tell, it's on order.

Thanks Q-MAN,

Actually, I'm in the market for a major processor upgrade. But,I need something to get by until the new sound processing formats come out. If it sounds decent enough I'll keep it for a year, if not I'll send it back at the end of the 30 Days.

I love how HK sounds with Klipsch, I'm leaning toward Lexicon, but the price of a lexicon processor here in Canada is outrageous.