The Meaning of Test Tone Sound Differences

Fried Elliott

Okay, gentlemen, its starting to come together! I eventually want to move the kg-4s to another room and get a different front pair along with a sub at the same time; but for now, this is the audio setup.

AVR: Denon 1800 AVR

Fronts: KG-4 (pair)

Center: KSC-C1

Surrounds: SS-1 (pair)

Sub: none

I walked through the Denon setup instructions, setting the speaker sizes, and listening distances. I then used the test tone to balance the volume. When listening to the test tone itself, I notice that my kg-4s make a sound like "kuughhhhh" while my center and surrounds make a sound more like "kkshishhh". (I can already see the witty replies to this last sentence pouring in even now...)

Is this due to:

1. The differences in horns?

2. Woofer/subwoofer presence/absence/settings?

3. Treble/bass settings on the AVR?

4. Oak front, black center, white surrounds?

4. Anything I should care about?

if you told the Denon that no sub exists, I believe it will send a full-range test tone to the mains, therefore, the 'kuggggghhh' instead of the higher-pitched hiss. i get the same thing with my setup.

nothing to worry about. your system is doing what it's supposed to do.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V -5-way w/15" woofers

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk RT f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation connected to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

What you are hearing, I believe, is the tonal differences inherent in using 2 different types of speakers across the front. Nothing will sound exactly like a KG4 except another KG4, and even then it won't be precise due to room placement interactions. You have just hit on the nerve that drives us to find the "ideal" center channel (small, unobtrusive, cute, fits inside an entertainment center, etc.) which will have perfect tonal match with a pair of speakers the size of steamer trunks!! Good luck!

DD2

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake2:

You have just hit on the nerve that drives us to find the "ideal" center channel (small, unobtrusive, cute, fits inside an entertainment center, etc.) which will have perfect tonal match with a pair of speakers the size of steamer trunks!! Good luck!

Very well said!