Denon 1705 stuck in "protect" mode....

My daughter was listening to CDs through the HT system the other day and reports the following: She MIGHT have been listening to music pretty loud - the phone rang - she hit mute - when she returned to the room, she took mute off without turning down the volume. The receiver immediately shut down and the standby off and on blinked rapidly like when there's a short-circuit. I have unplugged the unit for an hour or so as recommended by someone at the dealer and when I turn the unit on it goes immediately to the "protect" mode. Any suggestions other than take it to the dealer for a check out?

Let it sit for 2 hours? I would try completely unplugging the unit from the wall for an hour (just hitting the "off" button actually puts it in a standby mode and doesn't turn it off). Then plug it back in the wall and power-up. Also make sure there are no shorts in the back across the output terminals.

A worse case scenario would be that you melted a voice coil or something in the crossover, thus causing a short inside the amp which would trigger the protect mode on the denon. The reason it takes the reciever so long to switch between sources is because it does a quick check to make sure there are no problems when the switch happens (otherwise it'd go poof).

Bill,

The next question is -how long have you had the receiver? Going rate for a tech is about 55 a hour..........maybe its time to get something new? OR Take it to you tech person, and put a monetary limit on the repair/research ....... Good Luck

If it is still in protect mode when nothing is connected to it(inputs and speakers), reset the processor. The instructions should be in the manual. If that doesn't bring it back, it sounds as though you have shorted output transistors. Repair or replacement would be necessary at that point.

Hi,

Unfortunately, it sounds like your Denon is in need of service. There are only a few reasons why most solid state amps go into protect and stay there. One is that your DC offset voltage is not 0 and your power amps are trying to produce straight DC at the speaker terminals. In many MArantz receivers, this will trigger the protect circuit. Another problem is a detected high current condition, usually caused by a shorted output transistor. FInally there are devices which cause a shut down due to heat via thermal sensors on the output stage's heat sink. The bottom line is that this unit should be put on a test bench and checked out. If it is as new as you said, it may still be under a manufacturer's warrantee. Check into that first and do NOT open the unit up until you have checked into the manufacturer's warantee. There is no reason any amp should go into permanent protect mode just because someone hit 'mute' then came back and deselected "Mute'.

Bill B.

Archangele Audio: Vacuum Tube Hifi and Guitar amplifier repair, design and building at: http://home.alltel.net/wbittle1

Well, I took the receiver back to Ultimate Electronics on Friday. Their service work is done in Colorado, so the it will be shipped overnight to Colorado and shipped back overnight delivery. Even with the express shipping, it will be a minimum of two weeks. Good news - no cost to me for anything. I'm relieved and the two week thing is bearable as I listen mostly to my two-channel set up anyway. Thanks for everyone's help (especially the telephone time with Steve Donalson - Steve's a good guy to take time to help with an brand he doesn't sell!!).