really tempted to stop buying digital software

The question you should be asking yourself is are you really happy with your digital front end? If you can't stand to listen to your digital now that your analog rig is singing, I guess you got some decisions to make.

After my VPI Scout got singing I found my digital lacking. I could not listen to my digital anymore. The magic was gone. I had to decide to either improve the digital so it was listenable, or just ditch digital all togeher. I picked the former.

There is life for digital after you have been bitten hard by analog, at least there was for me. Good luck.

No Disc

I never understood your mp3 obsession max...

----------------

On 6/27/2005 7:34:27 AM maxg wrote:

With you all the way there AF - not bought a CD in......in.....about 2 years I reckon. Just doesnt seem to be a point. If I really want something that is digital only I tned to buy it online and download it.

----------------

Don't get me wrong here. I know how good analog can be. I've purchased more analog in the past years than I have digital.

But to just stop on digital, it would seem to me, that AFs analog rig has totally outclassed his digital. At least to the point that the digital no longer does anything sonically for him.

It does not have to be that way. I however believe, it won't be cheap to allow him to enjoy his digital again. At least that was the case for me.

No Disc

It is really very simple. If I want quality I buy vinyl. If I want convenience I go digital. MP3 is a totally portable format - it will play on any new device I buy. At 256 Kb it is eminently listenable too - not critical listening - you know - just like music listening as background to doing something else - like typing this reply.

My current digital front end is about $200 worth of Pioneer 575. It plays everything - badly. There is no discernable difference on this unit between SACD and 256 Kb MP3. The same applies to my computer system in the Study. These are perfect examples where convenience wins through. On the computer I have some 300 albums on the hard disk and a selection of those albums (about 250 of them) are also on 6 DVD disks that I use in the Pioneer.

A further subset is on my phone/organiser/Mp3 player/camera/video thing.

Just too convenient to ignore!

----------------

On 6/27/2005 7:48:38 AM No Disc wrote:

I never understood your mp3 obsession max...

----------------

On 6/27/2005 7:34:27 AM maxg wrote:

With you all the way there AF - not bought a CD in......in.....about 2 years I reckon. Just doesnt seem to be a point. If I really want something that is digital only I tned to buy it online and download it.

----------------

----------------

I know why I buy digital (and will likely continue) ... It's all about convenience.

I can't hear an differance when I'm rockin down the highway in my pick-up, SUV or even the wife's G35, it's really nice to be able to have 200 songs on a single disk to choose from . . .

During partys, I connect my computer to my AVR and play 4+ hour pre-arranged mp3 playlists . . . with all the party background noise, I'm sure nobody notices a differance.

Precisely ...

i use a HP usb interface from my computer to my Workshop stereo ...Klipsch Pro Media ..

hey, i'm Weldin', Grindin' Hammerin' ...

do i care it's not Ultimate Fidelity ..??

that and no disc to change, get dusty, etc ..

40 or 50 hrs worth of music ... so i won't get bored ...3.gif

When reissued vinyl isn't available, I will continue to buy CD's for those rare and highly prized LP's that I'm unwilling to pay unreasonable prices. My main focus will continue to be good vinyl at fair prices. Have pretty much avoided eBay for LP's, as their prices have been way over-the-top for quite a while.

Unfortunately, digital will remain a source based on vinyl availability and pricing.