Any good tech sopport forums (My PC spontaneously reboots itself)

tcpool

Hi,

I remember seeing a forum name on a previous Promedia 5.1 post....it was sharkysforum.com...or sharkyspost.org....or something like that.

I have what appears to be an unusual problem.

My PC randomly reboots itself. No specific program seems to be related to the rebooting.

Win 2000 Professional

1.4 AMD TBird CPU

ASUS A7M266 MOBO

ATI All In Wonder Radeon video card

SoundBlaster 5.1 Platinum

Pioneer DVD

Yamaha CDRW (I am aware that some Adaptec software does not work well with Win 2000 Pro - the version I have is compliant)

Microtek Scanner

Cable Modem

....and, of course, Promedia 5.1 speakers Smile.gif

There are no IRQ conflicts according to Device Manager. I am not aware of any inconsistencies between Win 2000 Pro and the above hardware.

1) Any ideas?

2) Any good tech support forums?

3) Does anybody remember the tech support forum from one of the previous Promedia 5.1 posts (sharkys'something or other")?

Thanks!

Hiya,

I remember having the same problem and if I remember right, the culprit was actually hardware, rather than software. A bit of question though, how long have you had the 'case' for and if you have had it long, then did it used to do it under a different setting, assuming you had Win98 before you installed Win2000.

I will check the power supply and all, if you have an ATX case, a little power surge and what's not, will 'click' and reset your PC.

DoomsDay

There are a number of excellent forums where you will be able to find help.

Try these as a start:

Http:\\www.virtualdr.com

http:\\www.cybertechhelp.com

http:\\www.helpfromtechs.com

http:\\www.sharkyextreme.com

http:\\www.google.com - (use support forums as your keywords)

Good luck!!

PS> If you are getting random reboots - Your PC is probably overheating.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Thanks for the replies!

Follow-up to your Q's:

1) I originally loaded Win 2k Pro----I never had Win 98 on this PC.

2) I just put the PC together about 3 weeks ago.

3) My temp probe indicates the CPU is not overhheating.

(I have 3 case fans and two HD fans)

One observation, it tends to reboot at random; however, I've noticed it reboots more often when I hit "ENTER" to submit forum New Topics/Replies. I'm not sure if it's related to the rebooting issue, but it's an interesting observation.

Also, the error log reads as follows (I don't know how to interpret it):

Source - save dump

Event ID - 1001

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x7ffad000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80496923). Microsoft Windows 2000 . A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini091201-01.dmp.

Yep....this could be a fun one Smile.gif

That looks like a RAM issue to me:

Have you tried reseating the RAM?

If you have access to different RAM I would suggest trying different memory modules. I have seen diagnostic programs pass bad memory and incorrectly flag good RAM as being defective. Diagnostic software is generally pretty good but as I have said it is not infallible.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)