Pardon the ignorant question please

bigrol21

What function does LFE have on my receiver. I just got a digital receiver and my Denon handbook does not like to explain the differnt functions. Also what dhould I have it set to?

I have a RC-25, 2 RF-25's and 2RB-25 as my rears. (With a KEF 10' sub)

I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance.

I know where your coming from with the Denon manual. The LFE channel is the channel for the Sub-Woofer. Or you can use the center channel and the filter in the Sub-Woofer (if you have one) will just pass the low stuff. If your Sub-Woofer does not have a filter you must use the LFE channel and using the Denon setup program set the filter to 120 hz or 80 hz to drive the Sub-Woofer.

Then use the center channel for the center speaker. You must view the Denon setup program on your tv set. Best of luck on all the different explanations of 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc.

JJK

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure my sub has a filter. Would that be the same as the phase control? In this case which would be the easyiest to tune? I currently have the reciever at 120 and all but the front L&R set to small in the configurater.

LFE stands for "Low Frequency Effect" it is the channel associated with the ".1" in 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc etc. It is supposed to be connected to a powered subwoofer (a subwoofer that has an amp built into it).

The standard for movies is to set the crossover at 80Hz in the reciever. The crossover on the sub should be turned to the highest value possible because your reciever is doing the bass management for you. There's no need in making the two crossovers overlap.

To make things easy, I would suggest turning all your speakers to small and then dialing in the system that way. There will be a setting in the reciever for the sub: Off, LFE, LFE+Main...I would recommend using LFE+Main. Once you get things dialed in, then you might start experimenting with setting speakers to large. You might need to do a little tweaking when you play around with this, but sometimes it will sound better that way.

As far as phase goes, it is a tool that helps you to align the bass from your subwoofer with the bass from your other speakers. Phase only matters when more than one speaker is playing at the same frequencies...so at the crossover frequency your sub and the rest of your speakers are pretty much playing together (the crossover is a gradual cutoff for all the speakers). Basically, the idea here is to get the sub in phase with the mains so that you aren't getting any cancellation...so adjust the phase for a setting that provides the most bass and you're all set.