Treatments along front wall where khorns are???

rplace

I have a question about sound absorbent form applied to my home theater/2 channel room. I have khorns along a 13.5-foot wall. I have done some reading at the auralex web site and submitted my room dimensions for some advice. One suggestion is foam panels to the left and right of my fixed screen as well as below the screen. The left and right side of the screen seems fine but I am wondering about the area below the screen. This would be the part of the front wall that the khorns use. The auralex suggestion shows a picture of traditional, tall skinny floor standing speakers.

Is the wall better off with out treatments for the khorns or with to cut down on reflections?

Thanks!

rplace ask:

I have a question about sound absorbent form applied to my home theater/2 channel room. I have khorns along a 13.5-foot wall.

-----------------------

First I would ask what are the other dimensions of your room?

My experience in smaller rooms especially is be carefull about how much absorption you use especially if it isn't broadband absorption like say 2" thick panels. The sound can become lifeless and tonally unbalanced. Khorns also because of their dispersion characteristics will disperse the sound differently in the room than regular none horn type systems which will affect where and how much treatments you will need in your room.

So far my experience is that I like using diffusion more than absorption to treat the room. I seem to get better clarity and imaging while still retaining good tonal balance and dynamics with diffusive devices. I've just not ended up satisfied in the long run using absorption around my Khorns in the 3 different rooms I've used them in even though in some ways the imaging was helped in some ways it was also harmed in other areas but more importantly to me the life/dynamics and realsim of the recording suffered. Of course no two rooms/setups are the same and someone else might have a different experience.

mike1.gif