Flying Mole digital amps

steve

Well, I got my DAD100 digital amps in yesterday. I can try them free of charge for two weeks. I must say, but being such small units, they do kick out a lot of bass, and the soundstage is, well..different. I haven't quite put my finger on it, what the difference is. I think it may be a "fuller" soundstage i.e. the space between the speakers seems to be filled in more than my SET300B amp. The highs do roll off quicker, that's for sure..but don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. What with tone controls, I can kick a little more treble in, and it sounds pretty good. OTOH it never got harsh, even on some of the badly mastered CDs I have in my collection. So I haven't made up my mind if it's a good thing, or if I'm losing some intricate detail buried in some passages. I'm mainly trying to get some intense listening in on these amps, then I'll switch the 300B back in, and try the same passages. For right now, I must say initial impressions are positive. Better than I expected. My real disappointment is there are no connecters for spades on the back..just banana pins, and bare wire. I had to improvise.

Anyway, I'll report more as I listen more! Of course work is gonna get in the way for the next few days, as we're shorthanded and I have to work tomorrow..but there's next weekend!!

Steve

Steve--

You may have seen this but.....there is a full spec. review of the FMole DAD M100 Pro over on Soundstage.com.

Speedball,

Have you heard a CIAudio D-100, or D-200, yet?

I'm really interested in the Hypex UCD modules (I think a Stereophile review is about to pop).

Mark

Not sure if you were saying you have heard either yet--but I'd be very interested in your impressions if you have.

I've been following them (what is it....148 page thread over at DIY...?) for a while and am about sold...

DV seems to have a nice package--and he is a good guy.

Mark

Black face would be cool...

Yeah, Brownells has Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black--but I bet it would look better if CIAudio did it -- and then added logos/markings, etc.

Well, we should return this thread to Flying Moles. I'm looking forward to what Steve discovers. (Speedball--let me know if you make a move on one of those)

Mark

Caution: digital amps can take quite a while to break-in--more so than most conventional or tube amps. The Flying Moles are a lot of overkill if you are running a two channel setup with Klipsch speakers.

Play those things as much as you can the next two weeks and report back. I'm interested in the 12V version and would like to know what you think. (BTW, most digital amps love battery power because it's so clean.)

BTW, how much is a pair going for these days?

Thanks.

----------------

On 7/3/2005 10:22:17 AM WWOOF wrote:

Caution: digital amps can take quite a while to break-in--more so than most conventional or tube amps...

----------------

Does it take longer to break in the speaker wire with digital amps? 11.gif2.gif