Yamaha HTR-5860BL vs Denon AVR 2805

bikendad

Posted this because I was planning on buying the Denon but this Yamaha just went on sale at BB for $499. Seems like a great price for a 7.1 110 watt per channel reciever. How would this sound with a RF-35 home theatre system and would it sound as good as the Denon?

After further review, it looks as though it's really 95w per channel @.07thd. STill not bad though, ZI've now seen them on the internet as low as $349 but not sure if I want to buy that way. I notice it only has 2 component video inputs versus the Denons 3, not sure if this would matter to me or not?

forget the price, get a denon anything over a yamaha anything, if you are like the rest of us you will notice the differences in listening soon after purchase, and that will just mean upgrade, but the chances of your wanting to upgrade are less likely with the denon, the yammie has a tendancy to be ear bleeders and have unbalenced presenttion, overaccentuationg the tweets and bass and leaving gaps in the mids, very irritating

Marksdad- have your HEARD a recent Yamaha receiver? I believe that you are perpetuating an unfair unfounded theory with your generalized statement. I do not wish to start a flame war, but please justify your statements with facts or please stop making such generalized statements about an entire product line.

Beware that the Yamaha HTR series (like many consumer lines) is rated at 1 kHz for power output, not 20-20,000 with all channels driven as is standard practice. The features are not as good as the beter RXV series. It probably produces 60-75 watts if you were to use the standard rating method (this is just my estimate)

Personally, I prefer Yamaha. I purchased my first Yamaha receiver about 12 years ago after much listening tests with Denon. At that time Denon's source switch was a single button that you had to push repeatedly to toggle between sources. It made a very audible 'CLUNK' sound each time you pushed it, like a relay was switching inside. I found this very disturbing. The Yamaha RXV850 that I purchased instead and still use, had a row of push buttons so you could go directly from one source to the other.

Michael

"The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz."

last time I checked identical means exactly the same. or there is no difference. If I am wrong please correct me.

how could Identical amps built in the same assembly plant be different?

Geezzz marksdad, stop being such a Yamaha hater!

I have owned this brand receiver for quite some time now and am totally satisfied with it. Very CLEAN and powerfull.

I am not in the practice of knocking brands because we all have different tastes and hear things a bit differently from one another. Best bet is to listen for yourself........then decide.

Later

Mike (The Yamaha/Hsu Underdog)

thank you mikekid I just used the ypoa to equalize all my speakers then plugged in my avia disk, I lost some of the super detailed highs/spike that I associate as a thing I kinda liked about my fortes/room but lost the annoying 100hz resonance and the 50-60hz resonance. the response in my room now only varies 9 or so decibels all the way down to 26hz and loses only another 3 or 4 down to 20. and the academy has become seamless........why do they suck again. I can turn it all off with the push of about five buttons.

Ive been battling back and forth between equalizing and not but never ran the avia with it and Ive just improved my room accoustics. Even my girlfriend agrees.

Im happy with it (this is the bottom line)