Will having laminate flooring affect sound?

Arman

Hi all,

I have a 14' * 14' room, with a rear projection TV on the front wall and the seating position (2 recliners) 8' feet away from the screen. The floor is covered with ceramic tile, which has become bumpy and uneven due to the roots of the trees that cover our yards (front and back). This uneveness causes the sub and speakers to sit on the floor unevenly (one peg might not touch the ground, causing it to wobble) if not placed in a specific spot. I want to cover the floor of the front wall with laminate flooring to create a smooth, even floor...also, the flooring will raise the speakers, sub and TV about 1/4 - 1/2" off the ground. Will this affect the sound? Does the tile affect the sound? Sorry for the run-ons and incomplete ideas, I'm kinda in a rush to type this (I'm at work, hahaha)...

Here is the laminate flooring: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=9876&pos=n31

Thanks in advance!

-Arman

• Like 1

Tile is a hard surface with zilch for absorption. While a laminate floor may offer some impact sound transmission in most applications, in this application there is no lower level to try and reduce noise transmission. However, it is easy to apply and also will feel nice to walk on.

I would recommend that the existing floor be levelled with thin-set mortar or a self-levelling compound first, as the laminate will take the shape of the floor below. Ie: a bump below will be a bump up top, if it doesn't first break the laminate.

In general, hard, smooth surfaces tend to reflect sound, while soft, rough surfaces will tend to absord, or atleast diffuse, sound. I don't think you will hear much of a difference between you current tile and laminate.

You may want to check the laminate manufacturer's instructions before you proceed. IMHO you definitely need to do something to the existing floor before applying laminate over it. The laminate I installed called for the floor to be flat to with 1/8" in 10'. IIRC most manufacturers specify 1/4" in 10'. And it needs to stay that way after installation. Moisture is also a consideration.

I've got floor tiles throughout my home. Except the bedrooms (all 8 of them!) and the home theatre room which has carpet. You really notice the difference carpet makes to the acoustics.

On reflection I should have installed the floating floor system comprising of a foam insulating layer and the wood laminate surface. My neighbor has just installed this system, and it's fantastic. Warm in winter, cool in summer, and much better than tiles for room acoustics.