I so don't know what to do

Gaidin

Okay, I was going to go with some RCW-5's for my rear channel and RCR-5's for my sides in a 7.1. The line I had for the RCR's fell through, so I'm still looking for the side channels. In another post, someone mentioned their satisfaction with RS-7's for sides and RCW-5's for rears. I can't afford the RS-7's, but I can afford a pair of RS-25's or R-5650C in-walls. I really just don't know which route to go 8.gif8.gif8.gif . Is there even enough sound coming through the side channels for it to matter? I don't have a retailer in my area that carries Reference series anymore, so I can't go listen to them.

Sorry for the lame post, but I really need some input here. Building a new house and I want to get this right the first time.

Thanks!!

I'd have to go out of state 14.gif We used to have Soundtrack/Ultimate Electronics, but they closed all the stores here. I have a couple of custom installers that carry the Reference series, but neither of them have anything for demo. Freakin' sucks!!

Side surrounds, if your actually using them as side speakers, are made to diffuse the sound. (Not directly at you especially the Mids, Tweeters sounds direction to your ears) Movie theaters do this with multiple speakers in a huge box...You do this at home by spraying the side sounds around you. (front and back) People seem to like them just behind the seatting position, on the walls, and they will spray sound to the front and back and surround you, as created.

With the addition of a second set of surrounds, the "Surround Back" speakers... these (1 or 2 speakers) will give you a 3 dimmensional effect behind you and help to localise sounds...(planes flying over, for instance..and is breathtaking.) Digital EX is amazing in 7.1 sound too here.. Neo 6 as well. These should be directly behind you.

Hope this helps, I was not trying to talk in technobable... More real life experience.

Always match your speakers to the fronts, never down in the series.

In a perfect world, everything would match! Perfect dynamics and Timbre.

indy is right, but in laymans terms , yes, there is enough material coming from your side and rears to justify the larger size, there are many of us here that think that using anythig short of full range floor standers is robbing your theatre experience of the full potential of the surround experience, i have heard alot of explosions pan across the back as well as the front, but you will never hear it with the tiny rs's or smaller