Side walls in a dedicated HT ideas. (for covering)

IndyKlipschFan

I have come across the same sound absorption material that my local person uses for his HT projects. I thought what if I used a cloth on the walls...and the material underneath it (I assume glued or something to the drywall) kind of giving it a movie theater look at home.

This would be mounted possibly either from the ceiling to the floor, (a little fear of a bordello look..LOL) or maybe ceiling down to say 3 feet chair rail, where drywall from there down, or a wood stained lower base too might come into play.

Your Thoughts?

Any thoughts?

You've just paid a fortune to have drywall done. I'd maybe build some gobo-type panels, maybe put them on removeable wheel frames, or just lean against the walls for now- until you see how they work. Don't be in a hurry to bore holes into your ceiling or walls to mount these panels.

Are you talking about foam or that homasote/insulation building board, wrapped in fabric? Don't know that holding it away from the wall would make a big difference. You're mainly talking absorbtion here, not diffraction.

Michael

I'd wait until the room was done before starting with acoustical treatment. This way you at least have an idea of what needs to be done and go from there.

Speaking of which, what did your final layout turn out to be? I remember seeing a few sketches and the pics...do you have an overhead sketch readily available somewhere? I know things got changed around a bit with your split industrial lascala score down in florida. Colter was telling me how you magically got everything to match in such a short amount of time.

I'm with Michael on that... and go the "wait and see" route esp since you've barely had time to get the drywall up.

When/if you decide to go with panels (to control early reflections I'm guessing?) ... their placement will be somewhat dictated by speakers. You are using LaScalas so you may have to have the bottom edge lower than 36" to line up with the mids and tweeters.

I've been personally considering building mobile units that can be hung like a picture frames where needed. With a little creative decorating, they can end up looking like minimalist paintings... 2.gif

Rob

I will wait your right.. Just "ansy" to "get er done"!!

My thoughts on the side wall cloth, was to mask it some what dead. With a 3 foot chair rail and either drywall painted, or wood bottom stained dark cherry, giving it a rich look might not make it tottaly dead as well.

All my speakers are split la scalas...( for those that have never seen these each side has two cabinets the top horn section and the bottom woofer cabinet. In terms of the center one.. I put the top horn section on a makeshift stand next to the woofer cabinet for the center just tilting it up "just a little" for the sweetspot where the HT seats will be at ear level. All Split la scalas also have the AL-3 networks.. I could not have been so lucky in a 1,000 years to get everything matching and working so well. All speakers work, all same drivers, all same x overs.. And at great prices too. Sure I drove all over for them.. But in the end I really think.. OK I will boast some.. I KNOW seamlessly they will be incredible. Add the new Klipsch THX 2 subs and Klipsch Amp.... OMG it is so right.

No one will see any of the speakers, they will all be behind a black cloth, so that sound goes through it. (Scrim) I can't wait!! That way, looking at the screen with a black cloth on that whole 17' wall except for the HDTV Projector 106" screen... The idea here is you will get lost in the movies.

The room itself is 17x 30 Approx.. take away the front cavity and back cavity hiding the speakers... maybe 17 x 26 ish?? I should re measure but the room will seem bigger with the speakers hidden and a stage screen before you.

Roger: It is my understanding that the material alone will have little (if any) effect if placed on the drywall. As others suggest, you must take a suitable mater such as ridgid insulation and wrap it withthe materal on all sides expect the back. A place I deal with here in Michigan sells all that stuff for Illbruck; Sonex's parent company.

Memtech: http://www.memtechacoustical.com/illbruck/illbruck-sonex-products/fabritec-wall-panels.htm

Memtech is who I went through to purchase my melamine foam panel suspended ceiling.

That's some pretty cool looking stuff...though I wonder what that carpet like covering would sound like. It reminds me of this craptacular studio i visited like 10 years ago. The studio had great equipment but the acoustics just sucked (floor, walls, and cieling were all carpeted like the pic). A couple years later the guy installed some wood floors and even put some hardpanel diffusors up as well...it really cleaned up the sound so perhaps it's not too bad of a thing (but then you're back to ugly stuff on top).

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 7/12/2005 1:27:04 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Are you talking about foam or that homasote/insulation building board, wrapped in fabric? Don't know that holding it away from the wall would make a big difference. You're mainly talking absorbtion here, not diffraction.

Michael

----------------

Actually spacing it away from the walls can make a difference. If you space foam panels 2" out, it extends their absorbtion bandwidth downwards in frequency. This is measurable. Auralex does it with their Truetrap Genesis system we sell and darned if it doesn't work. Best of all, it is cheap to try...just get some foam spacers.

Also, in regards to the fabric...make sure you use acoustic fabric. Many regular fabrics have too tight a weave and can actually reduce higher frequency absorbtion, leaving you with uneven response. You want an open weave (basically you should be able to blow thru it without much resistance).

Michael, do not go away, it is how we all learn and also eliminate who has good info...and poor too..LOL.

Right now I am in the listen and wait stages.. And finishing the room first, taking your idea.. get used to it as it is. Then move to tweek(s) later... Rome was not built in a day either.

Just ordered the bar cabinets today, got paint quotes coming in and and electrical in soon I hope. (Next week or so.)

----------------

On 8/3/2005 11:27:46 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

wrong again I see, I'm just about done trying to help people here.

----------------

In what way is this wrong? You can actually measure and verify the effect. Using 3" spacers (sorry, they should be 3" not 2") on some Auralex foam trupanels increases their NRC from .4 to .65 at 125hz. Same panel, same material, just spaced away from the wall. As for the fabric...we did an experiment with 4 different types of fabric we had laying around and it measured differently using EFT with the open weave measuring the best. Kinda surprised me but there it was. Not saying you have to go out and buy super expensive Guilford, but just to get something that is a bit open on the weave.