Power Supply question

Mitch

I was thinking about upgrading to an AMD 1.4ghz/266 processor, and I was wondering if I need a power supply that is rated at more than 300W. Right now, I am running a P3 700mhz, on a 300W power supply. I have found 350 and 400W power supplies on the internet. So I guess my first question is...do I need something of that caliber, and secondly, what brand should i get, or what certifications am i looking for?

Its not so much as applying that power, its depends on what is required by the MoBo, CPU, Ram, Drives, Cards, Fans, they all require power. The PSU will not supply more than is not needed. And as I understand it, the newer AMD requires alot of power. So if you have the clams, won't hurt if you get one of these. Makes it sort of future proof.

You dont need a 450 or 650 Enermax to provide ample power to even a BIG Athlon setup.

I use the Antec 400W PSU and I have a BIG setup with several Delta fans and 10 & 15K SCSI drives and all is fine.The Antec power supply is a quality PSU with the power for almost any system.

Just stay far far away from any cheapo PSU's rated at 300W.Unless its Antec,Enermax or Delta

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I would get the Antec 400W PSU.

I have a P4 1.8GHz,a P3 1.2GHz and a Athlon 1.4Ghz and all three computers use the 400W Antec,never had ANY problems.I also have a spare 650W Enermax waiting to go in my new project,a dual Athlon(Palomino) system.

Only a BIG dually with at least 2GB RAM would need a son of a gun 650W Enermax. Smile.gif

The Antec 400W PSU is a winner.

TheEAR(s) Now theears