Fortes & Dynaco - Terrific Combo

Southern

I just finished refurbishing my Dynaco PAS-2 pre-amp and connected it to my Dynaco ST-70 amp and Klipsch Fortes.

I could not believe how loud a 35 WPC amp could sound. I couldn't turn it up past 1/2 way due to the efficiency of the Forte's. I suppose its a good thing I don't have a pair of Klipschorns otherwise my wife would kick me out of the house.

The Dynaco tube equipment sure made the Forte's sing. It makes me wonder why they stopped making Dynaco tube equipment after listening to the Klipsch/Dynaco combination.

I still have a Dynaco FM-3 tuner and a Heathkit W-5M amp to refurbish, meanwhile I can enjoy the sweet sound of tubes through my Fortes.

Just informed that my ST-70 will leave Craig's shop in the next day or so. The DFW chapter of Forum members are invited to an as yet unscheduled listening at my place to be held as soon as it is cool enough to turn off the AC. We'll be comparing (NOT "vs") the Super PAS-4/ST-70 with my Panasonic Class D. I've already "warned" everyone that no negative vibes to my ST will be tolerated...it's been with me longer than most of them have been alive and will be here when I am gone. OK, that is, sort of, a joke.

Anyway, be advised that "new" PAS-based designs are available from Frank Van Alstine. I've a Super PAS-4 and love it. All the qualities of the old Dyna's with SS power supplies and tweaks. These are NOT rebuilds, but new from ground up. They are pretty much dead ringers control and form factor wise, but all black. Worth checking out if you want Dyna but don't want to have to rebuild or rely on someone else's skills.

Mine will be driving the ST-70 as well as the Pana due to it's excellent phono stage (of Frank's design and pretty much worth the price of the whole preamp on its own) as well as the nice effect of tubes on DVD/SACD/CD media.

Nothing like the best of both worlds for a well-rounded listening experience.

Dave

Colin, I keep telling youse guys that its "TUBES LOVE HORNS"!!!

Horns handle everything (including SS) that feeds them with equal applomb. But when tubes MATE to horns, it must be love! Or really, REALLY kinky sex, metaphorically speaking.

DM9.gif