Best center channel for Khorns?

JTA

I have now become better educated.

In an above reply, I sugessted that a Heresy is not all that bad of a compromise as a center channel between a pair of K-Horns. I had been doing this for the last 6 months and having reasonable success.

That is up until yesterday. Thanks to the astute eye of Rick (Thumplstilkin), I got a real deal on some Cornwalls (CW II from 1987). Yes, of course, they do a better job than the Heresy as a center channel. And the heresy is not bad, given the price they are a real deal. Keep in mind that I believe you do not need much gain on the center (since it is just giving some better "anchoring" for the centered image, and perhaps smoothing out some room acoustics).

I was surprised how much better the Cornawall serves as a center channel. Even though there is plenty of bass from the K-Horns, the Cornwall (even though it is not turned up very much) actually made the the overall low bass sound a bit more even (not that I was ever complaining about the K-Horns). Actually there were several other improvements also. I will be screwing around for the next several weeks getting the gain set correctly for the center. I love this stuff....

So if a I can retract what I said before. While the Heresy does a decent job as a center, there are deals on Cornwalls. So the price may not be that much more expensive. It is worth the difference.

Good luck,

-Tom

Wooo Hoo Tom....

You had the right idea, for many it was fine. I am so happy, more important, you had a gut feeling to seek out and hear for yourself what a number of us have found out too. Another "Convert" ... Cornwalls II's (Older vertical now on the side horizontal) as a center RULE!!

You also might find that you enjoy HT with a MUCH larger middle sound stage than before, and "feel" what all the hype is about. It is enough on here to say, "Well this spec, this driver, this "approved" center, works great." But quite another to experience it, first hand!

Congrats!!