Anyone ever own a Denon AVR-4800?

Dylanl

I have had mine since 2001 and paid $1800 for it. It worked very well with my KLF 20s, C7, and SB3 for rears. It does music very good and home theater great!! If you want to do 7.1 then you need to get a amp for those speakers but the receiver has 7.1 on it. I have not heard the Yamaha so can not compare the 2. For $300 make sure there are no issues with it.

Xman

He said he would throw in a HK PA 2000 2 channel amp with the deal.

So you all think I should pull the trigger?

It seems to me that Pre amps and receivers are a loosing proposition over the long haul. All that they do is start loosing value from the day you buy them. Amps and other peices seem to hold there value much better. I guess you have to look at them from that standpoint.

Brett

----------------

On 7/29/2005 9:05:04 PM Dylanl wrote:

Here is a picture of the units I bought. What do you all think?

----------------

You got a great deal!! The HK PA-2000 is only 45w X 4 (or 100w x 2), and the AVR4800 has 125w X 5. If it was my deal, I'd sell the HK amp to get most of my $300 back and enjoy a nearly free receiver! Then again, you might want to use the amp to run additional speakers.....ya' done good either way!!

By the way.....The page that compares a receiver's true performance to its advertised specs says the Denon AVR4800 actually provides up to 148w x 5!!

Congratulations, Rick.

I have not tried it on mine but yes I think that is right. The way I understand it is if the DVD is not encoded in DTS ES then it will only do 5.1 but I might be wrong. Does anyone know if DTS ES takes 5.1 and turns it into 7.1? If I had a larger living room I would set it up.

Xman