Rf-3 X-overs

Whooz, after seeing all that is involved by the pics, I think I would be scared to try it on my own, looks complicated and I probably would screw somethin up. I donts have any solder skill or know-how of that crossover stuff, guess i know for sure that Dean would have to do mine for me!

Looks complicated! I would probably damage the circut board with the screw driver! 6.gif

• 8 years later...

There is a single PCB attached to the rear of the terminal cup. Remove the crossover and replace the 5uF and 12uF epoxy coated oval capacitors running in series with the horn with some high quality polypropylenes, I recommend either the ClarityCap ESA Series from Madisound or the Auricap from partsconnexion. Replace high pass resistors with Mills 12 watt non-inductives. I don't remember the values for that loudspeaker -- but they are clearly marked on the original resistors. Leave the parts for low pass section -- they are fine.

This is from the text file I send out when people request information on the work I do for the RF-7:

"I do not change any of the parts in the low pass section unless they are out of spec or damaged. The quality of the stock parts, though sub-par for the high-pass section, are more than adequate for the low-pass section. My personal experience is that changing them out makes no audible difference. Over time, I simply concluded that our hearing isn't nearly as sensitive to changes in the low pass section as they are to changes in the high pass section. I'm often asked to replace a steel laminate or iron core type with an air core type in the low pass section. Now, If inductance and DCR are matched as they should be, there will be no difference. Besides making no audible difference, in order to match the low DCR of a stock steel laminate or iron core, the required air core is too large to be properly secured on the stock PCB. I also do not change out the coils in the high pass section. The primary reason is that the stock coils are normally the preferred air core type anyway, and there simply is no benefit to changing to another air core by a different vendor. Sometimes, coils are placed in proximity to one another which creates some mutual inductance, and this is factored into the design. If the coils aren't the same physical size, shape, and within the same proximity -- it will change the mutual inductance value and the behavior of the circuit."

I'm asked to what extent and how things are changed. The answer is I don't know. I've learned some hard lessons playing with the coils on these speakers -- just leave them alone. I'm not a speaker designer, but I know there is a mathematical relationship between the DCR of the low pass inductor, cabinet volume, and the ports. People like to replace the stock steel laminates in the low pass sections with huge 10 AWG air cores -- they then come back and talk about how great the bass is. I did this once with my RF-7s and I thought it ruined the bass response -- I have no idea what these other people are hearing. I ended up replacing the steel laminates with air cores that had the same DCR and after I finished I honestly couldn't tell if there was a difference or not.

• 1 year later...

This is from the text file I send out when people request information on the work I do for the RF-7:

"I do not change any of the parts in the low pass section unless they are out of spec or damaged. The quality of the stock parts, though sub-par for the high-pass section, are more than adequate for the low-pass section. My personal experience is that changing them out makes no audible difference. Over time, I simply concluded that our hearing isn't nearly as sensitive to changes in the low pass section as they are to changes in the high pass section. I'm often asked to replace a steel laminate or iron core type with an air core type in the low pass section. Now, If inductance and DCR are matched as they should be, there will be no difference. Besides making no audible difference, in order to match the low DCR of a stock steel laminate or iron core, the required air core is too large to be properly secured on the stock PCB. I also do not change out the coils in the high pass section. The primary reason is that the stock coils are normally the preferred air core type anyway, and there simply is no benefit to changing to another air core by a different vendor. Sometimes, coils are placed in proximity to one another which creates some mutual inductance, and this is factored into the design. If the coils aren't the same physical size, shape, and within the same proximity -- it will change the mutual inductance value and the behavior of the circuit."

I'm asked to what extent and how things are changed. The answer is I don't know. I've learned some hard lessons playing with the coils on these speakers -- just leave them alone. I'm not a speaker designer, but I know there is a mathematical relationship between the DCR of the low pass inductor, cabinet volume, and the ports. People like to replace the stock steel laminates in the low pass sections with huge 10 AWG air cores -- they then come back and talk about how great the bass is. I did this once with my RF-7s and I thought it ruined the bass response -- I have no idea what these other people are hearing. I ended up replacing the steel laminates with air cores that had the same DCR and after I finished I honestly couldn't tell if there was a difference or not.

I just checked my old e-mail account and saw that you'd replied a while back.  I just wanted to let you know I truly appreciate the information and your help on this.  I followed your recommendations and everything sounds great!

• Like 1