Klipsch MSM and MSSM

greg928gts

I picked up a pair of MSM midrange horns and cabinets today, unloaded for $50. Also a pair of MSSM cabinets unloaded for $50. I also bought 7 K-55 drivers for $250, all working, and a blown K-77 for $10.

Came from an old P.A. system. He had one MWM woofer too, but I didn't buy that, I've already got 4 of those.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these MCCM system pieces. I just had to tell my forum buddies about this crazy system that I'm assembling. I actually have most of the pieces now for an MCCM system.

Can anyone confirm that the midrange drivers used in the MSM are K-55's? I haven't opened them up yet, but I've been told there's supposed to be 4 midrange drivers mounted to the back of each horn.

I used to have a pair of MSSM's back in my soundman days, and if I remember correctly, they had EV 10" drivers in them. Anyone know which drivers so I can look for a pair?

Greg

"Can anyone confirm that the midrange drivers used in the MSM are K-55's? I haven't opened them up yet, but I've been told there's supposed to be 4 midrange drivers mounted to the back of each horn."

Original older MSM used the 2" throat (4" coil) aluminum Gauss HF4000, it crossed over about 6Khz on top. Crossed at 400hz, the power handling was low. The MSSM was created to take the burden off the low end of the Gauss. Later the solder terminal K55V was used on a quad manifold (cost issues).

"I used to have a pair of MSSM's back in my soundman days, and if I remember correctly, they had EV 10" drivers in them. Anyone know which drivers so I can look for a pair?"

Most used an OEM version of the EVM10L, later the DL10X. A lot of these show up re-coned on eBay for reasonable money (most were blown in the MTH4/MTH2 boxes).

What will be your end use?

Thanks djk. I don't know what my end use will be and I really don't even know why I'm buying this stuff. I guess it's because I used to dream about owning one of these systems back in 1980 when I began doing live sound, but I could never get the money together for it. I ended up using a pair of single MWM's and pair of MSSM's and two pairs of split La Scalas for years. Nice system, but . . . Now I've ended up getting these pieces dirt cheap and I don't know what to do with them!

I'll have to open up those mid horns and see if they're supposed to have K-55's or a 2" driver.

I still need the tweeters.

Greg

----------------

On 7/22/2005 10:55:26 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Came from an old P.A. system. He had one MWM woofer too, but I didn't buy that, I've already got 4 of those.

Greg

----------------

Greg,

Did you mean one woofer or one woofer cabinet. I'd be interested in the cabinet.

Thanks,

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Greg, I'll just live my dream vicariously through you. Man those are beautiful! Now you can start collecting Crown amps to power them with. In my younger days, I also worked for a sound company and the MCM stack was our main rig. It was great. You're just reliving your glory days, nothing wrong with that.

I'll have to settle for my fibre/al LSI's. They were what was used in our smaller rental and DJ systems. Used to use a double stack with DC300's. It rocked.

Yes, our rig had the manifold with 4 K55's. I thought it was sheer madness. Gawd it was LOUD, but so CLEAR. I had never heard anything like it.

Nowdays everyone around here is Turbosound or NWaudio, those cute little all-in-ones that can be flown. Even the cultural festivals downtown Indy have massive flown systems these days.

If you want to have some fun, maybe pick up a Mackie board and some processing and try bidding some local events. Get in there and twiddle some knobs man!

Michael

Michael - yeah, that's just what I need, another job! Not.

Actually, I really do miss mixing sound, but I don't miss the traveling and early mornings dragging my arse into the house.

I guess this system is going to be my shop system. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Charles - I had a search going on ebay, so I picked up on those right away. They are just perfect, I'm glad I found those ones and not the piezos.

Greg