Whole House Surge Supressor?

tripod

Anyone else have one of these?

I recently had one installed.

The unit itself was only $40 from Home Depot, and it was installed at the breaker box.

I still have units for my computer and HT, but like the extra security of knowing the house is covered at the source.

I installed one several years ago. You still need surge suppressors at sensitive equipment as well, or at least that is what all the manufacturers say. And ofcourse, you need protection on all other paths a surge can enter the house, including even things like sprinkler wiring.

Depending upon where you are located, some utility companies will install these for free (often on the mast) - others charge absurd amounts...

Just be aware that this will do nothing to protect antenna/dish/RF and data lines!

I think they are wonderful for general purpose protection, although I am still anal enough to add additional protection for dear I am not prepared to sacrifice.

One IMPORTANT note! ALL surge protection is of limited value if you are using ground lifts and if your electrical system does not observe polarity and/or ground connections and if the system is not PROPERLY common-bonded to the water system entry point! And make sure any connection point is not isolated from the mains by teflon tape or plumbers dope! (If so, this attachment point violates codes anyway...)