Chris Botti

kuisis

If I was there I would go but not sure if you like a trumpet player who plays more of a modern smooth jazz. I have 2 of his cds and 1 SACD. The SACD "Night Sessions" sounds very very good not sure how it would sound on regular cd but if you buy one try this one if you like modern smooth jazz. The 2 cds "a thousand kisses deep" and "When I Fall In Love" are booth good but do not sound as well recorded as the SACD. The CDs have a mix of modern and some older trumpet songs.

How much are the tickets? If you have a player that will play SACDs then get "Night Sessions" if not get it on CD. If you like it go see him. Also depends on what album is most recent cause he will play most of that album and some of his other stuff in concert.

Xman

do a search on the internet and you might find some sample music you could download. Some music online stores has a brief sample of some of the songs on each album. A to me NO not like Kenny G, every album he puts out is his first album with the songs in different order and all his songs sound the same IMHO.

Xman

I like Chris' older ensemble stuff but then.. that always seems the case anymore. The best I've heard him was with a band called B.L.U.E. or Bruford/Levin Upper Extremities. The other members were Bill Bruford, Tony Levin and David Torn. They played a progressive mix of jazz and rock with Levin and Bruford keeping the time and Botti and Torn taking turns playing all over the top. Botti's style really meshed with Bruford's jazz drums and Levin's rock-steady bass while Torn was his usual wild self. They only put out one studio album and a live album from their only tour.

Not terribly popular but pretty accessible to rock and jazz fans alike - mostly rock I guess.

If the show is free - what can you possibly lose?! At least you'll know whether you like his music or not.

Have fun, Bryan

Although I'm more of a Bop & Hard Bop Jazz guy, I enjoy most music and Botti is well worth a listen. He did some touring with Sting and crosses over quite competently. I have several of his CDs and listen to them with some frequency. He's no Kenny G, who incidentally, should never be confused with a jazz musician.

I saw him perform in Rockford, Il when he opened for Josh Groban last Feb I think. I went out the next day and bought his new cd. Great music. Sting's drummer filled in for his drummer that night because his regular guy was ill.