Klipsch for my vintage McIntosh

I recommend Klipschorns. They're the ultimate. What people sometimes forget is that, since the Khorn is pushed all the way into a corner, it really doesn't take up much room, not much more than a Cornwall. If you can put them along the 18' wall where they or any speakers will sound their best, you'll have plenty of room to put your equipment rack and turntable stand between them.

I agree with everything else the guys said, though: hear them first, and Klipsch speakers sound great at any volume, although they sound so good at low volumes you'll want to turn them up.

Cornwalls didn't seem to work too well in my 12' x 13.5' x 8' room (too harsh and shrilly to my ears, even with my 300B SET amp), but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't work for you (I've heard my Cornwalls when my dad had them hooked up to his system in a much larger living room and they sounded stellar)!

And I've powered my Cornwalls with SS Macs (MC7200, MC2100, and the classic MC250), so I also believe that McIntosh and Klipsch are an excellent combination, no matter which models you chose from.

Good luck with whichever Klipsch model horn speaker you finally decide on.2.gif

I'm running a MC-240 and MX-110 through Cornwalls. My musical tastes span jazz, rock, and classical. I don't do heavy metal, rap or C&W. I can't believe how great the Corns sound particularly with jazz. I picked up the Corns for a good price and really didn't think that I would keep them because they are large in my small home. They are still here because they've earned their spot in the house. Rearrange the room but get the Cornwalls.

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like Cornwalls are the favorites. I've had the tape measure out! It will take some doing, but if I find some for a good price, I might take the leap. One concern I have would be shipping these due to their weight and size. I wonder if you can still buy shipping cartons and packaging from Klipsch?

There's a pair of Cornwalls for sale in Ogden, Utah......about 500 miles from Denver. It would be a 16 hour road trip, but you would avoid the shipping cost and hassles. Here's a copy of the ad:

"Onkyo Tuner, Pre-amp and pwr-amp. Klipsch cornwall spkrs. Sony 5 cd and JVC single CD and Teac Cass. All for $750. 435-730-5155"

If the Onkyo amp is an M-504 or better, you could sell the electronics and get some, or all of your investment back and keep the Cornwalls. Just a thought.......

Rick.

maniac,

If the speaker footprint is a concern, the Forte is an often overlooked model, but which I have been extremely pleased with for over 17 years... one of the flattest frequency responses of any of the Klipsch Heritage\Classic speakers, and, placed close to the back wall, capable of some very prodigous bass.

Fortes are also relatively light compared to the Cornwalls, Belles, and K-Horns, so shipping would be a little more reasonable. They seem to come up on ebay frequently, and sell for $550 - $650, an ungodly great deal compared to anything new on the market today.

On the other hand, after hearing Klipschorns a few months ago, I am finding it hard to get that fully horn-loaded sound out of my mind; unfortunately, I dont not have corners to place them properly.

Keep us posted! (no pun intended)