Trim Done paint is next.

IndyKlipschFan

OK, trim done.. now on to the next thing to do. We added more crown moldings to the HT room, it looks awesome.. Deep red burgundy carpet..and black for the stage...(black leather HT seats ordered.) I am considering colors for the side walls... any thoughts??

Ceilings will be black, with maybe in the trey ceiling sides a light blue with the rope light. I am not sure I need to have the middle ceiling black as well, but probably will.

Come on BB help me out with your suggestions?

----------------

On 7/31/2005 6:15:56 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

OK, trim done.. now on to the next thing to do.

----------------

You're almost done... looking good so far...1.gif

----------------

Deep red burgundy carpet..and black for the stage...(black leather HT seats ordered.) I am considering colors for the side walls... any thoughts?? ... Ceilings will be black, with maybe in the trey ceiling sides a light blue with the rope light.

----------------

The ovation room seems to have a blue tray as well as the sides, which may be a good scheme to stick to if you are after a similar look. Given you already have Black, Blue, Burgundy, and perhaps some white... I'd try to stick in the same families for the walls. Personally I'm a big fan of Charcoal / Red (or grey and orange) mix, so if the carpet is actually on the vibrant side that would be my initial suggestion.

It depends also what you like and are after... 4.gif

Rob

Roger,

The room looks stunning! Makes me wonder- have you talked with your Insurance agent

about increasing your homeowners coverage? This has really increase the value of your home!.............just a thought. Good Luck as you finish.

Yo Indy - way to go, looks like a great set up.

I did a quick look around the net on colors and it looks like blue runs second to red in quality low light situations and is apparently less disruptive to projected images, so it looks like muted blue would be the best bet for lighting.

No opinion on wall color - You will get some interesting results with darker colors that don't come across as closing in (like black and dark grey) when the lights are up and you are entertaining in a different way.

3 cents...

The guys did a great job of finishing your drywall, but black will show every imperfection and later, dust that might cling to the stalactites in textured finish.

How about a nice flat deep grey? It would be stunning with your burgundy carpet and also keep the ceiling reflections down without looking so heavy. Remember that dark colors on the ceiling will make the room appear smaller and the ceiling closer to you (optical illusion). I think your aim is to reduce reflected light without any bad architectural effects, right? Try a sample of the 'tray' color with your rope lights first before commiting to a color scheme. Perhaps pick up the burgundy color of your carpet and repeat on the vertical section of the tray?

Are you doing white trim like in rest of the house? Most trim paint is oil-based high gloss (to create shadows and depth), but my crown molding reflects light TOO well, maybe use grey here again, or white with some gray tint in it or flat paint to cut down on reflected light? Be creative, it doesn't have to match the rest of the house exactly.

The SHEEN of your paint is critical.If you're using Porter paint, I'd recommend the eggshell finish. It's more scrubbable than pure flat, but less shiny than semi-gloss. Just right for the kiddies (although they are fantastically good kids).

M

good suggestion mike on the eggshell..

The stalagtites (LOL) while a textured ceiling do not hang down very much downstairs... Flat black or charcoal black will be fine good points..

I am looking into different colored rope lights.. I still like the blue..especially on a dimmer to control how it looks. They are soo inexpensive anymore at the hardware store if it breaks no biggie.

I did see a really really amazing colored LCD system that varied between red yellow blue green and any variation of mixing those...and intensity.. (you can imagine the wow factor here...it was really really cool! ) Cost wise was the factor I did not go with it. I think it would be like 3k to do it all including switches and filling all the above space in the trey ceiling... If smaller around 1,500.00

That colored rope light on a dimmer for what 40- 50 dollars (not including dimmer) is looking VERY good about now.. And blue kinda like looking up to the stars is just amazing too..

• Moderators

----------------

On 7/31/2005 6:15:56 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

OK, trim done.. now on to the next thing to do. We added more crown moldings to the HT room, it looks awesome.. Deep red burgundy carpet..and black for the stage...(black leather HT seats ordered.) I am considering colors for the side walls... any thoughts??

Ceilings will be black, with maybe in the trey ceiling sides a light blue with the rope light. I am not sure I need to have the middle ceiling black as well, but probably will.

Come on BB help me out with your suggestions?
----------------

Hey Indy,

Sounds like you're "little project" is coming along great!!

For the walls, DEFINITELY go with as dark of a color as you can live with (black, gray, brown, burgandy, navy...etc) and DEFINITELY get as flat of a finish as you can live with. Flat is harder to clean, but as dark as your walls will be, a little finger print here and there won't show anyway. And the reflection from the screen will be nil.

Will you be using the room for other things besides watching movies? If so, have you thought about painting the walls with the color/finish of your choice, then perhaps running dark curtains down the length of the wall? Or even just do this with one wall to brighten up the room when entertaining. Fabric can be expensive, but I'm sure there are a lot of great outlet places or bolts on clearance...