Question about Comcast cable box audio output

rhiannonj

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I've been lurking around for about two months and have learned lots. I just finished setting up my HT system and this lady is pretty darn proud because I've done it all myself.

I have Comcast digital cable. The box I have is a Motorola. I don't know what model it is but it doesn't have digital audio outputs which sucks so I've got the RCA outputs going from the box to my receiver. I've noticed that a lot of channels come through as Dolby PLII (because of it being analog) but then I was watching the Sci Fi channel the other night and sound only comes out of the right channels. To make it even stranger, when a commercial comes on the sound switches to the left channels only! Aarrrgghhh... this is driving me nuts! All my settings are correct and everything else works fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Rhiannon

contact comcast and ask for a box with optical and/or digi coax audio output. that's what i did.

but be forewarned. very few programs are actually broadcast in DD5.1. i found that only a couple of HBO channels are capable of it and only a couple of showtimes, and then, not always. i've never had anything else come through in DD5.1. my understanding is that there is a bandwidth issue. all other stuff, although passed via a digi audio connection, is decoded by my receiver as PLII (as i have it set up).

I checked to see if my Motorola was listed and it wasn't on that page but checking further into the site I think I found what looks to be mine. It's DCT2000. It has OPTIONAL digital outputs.

I called Comcast back about six weeks ago when I began setting my HT system up and was told the only receivers that they have with digital outputs are for hi-def which is obviously a bunch of crock.

I can live with not having full DD but I'd at least like to have sound coming out of all the channels and this problem occurs on a number of channels.

Rhiannon

I have the comcast HDTV Service and the 6200 box. Almost all of the Comcast delivered, HDTV programing comes through DD as decoded by my wonderful Pioneer 1014 A/V Receiver. It's optical into the receiver. All the HDTV programming, including the World Series champion RED SOX and the New England Patriots dynasty on NESN are DDigital, and sound great!

Yeppers, that cheap little Pioneer combined with the el-cheapo BB purchased Klipsch Synergy IIIs are a sweet sounding TV experience!

----------------

On 8/3/2005 12:26:43 PM Steve_L wrote:

I have the comcast HDTV Service and the 6200 box. Almost all of the Comcast delivered, HDTV programing comes through DD as decoded by my wonderful Pioneer 1014 A/V Receiver. It's optical into the receiver. All the HDTV programming, including the World Series champion RED SOX and the New England Patriots dynasty on NESN are DDigital, and sound great!

Yeppers, that cheap little Pioneer combined with the el-cheapo BB purchased Klipsch Synergy IIIs are a sweet sounding TV experience!

----------------

Okay, rub it in Steve. I envy you all with HDTV setups. That's probably the last item on my list. I upgraded my old Cerwin Vega's to Klipsch KG 5.5's about two weeks ago and I am HOOKED on Klipsch! Since then I've won a KV3 and a pair of SS-1's on Ebay which should all be here on Monday. Next thing I'll be getting is a sub. But hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

Just wish I could figure out this issue but I have a feeling it has something to do with just having analog outputs going into my HK 525 receiver.

Rhiannon

Well, I just hung up with good ole Comcast and THIS time they told me that I can upgrade my box to one with digital audio outputs but they charge $25 for it. No biggee. They're coming out tomorrow so I'll let you guys know if that makes a difference.

Rhiannon

----------------

On 8/3/2005 1:01:24 PM rhiannonj wrote:

................................I have a feeling it has something to do with just having analog outputs going into my HK 525 receiver.

Well, I just hung up with good ole Comcast and THIS time they told me that I can upgrade my box to one with digital audio outputs but they charge $25 for it. No biggee. They're coming out tomorrow so I'll let you guys know if that makes a difference.

Rhiannon

----------------

doubtful it's your analog connection. most likely something is wrong with their broadcast. hopefully (maybe) the digi connection will get you some relief.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 8/3/2005 12:08:37 PM rhiannonj wrote:

I called Comcast back about six weeks ago when I began setting my HT system up and was told the only receivers that they have with digital outputs are for hi-def which is obviously a bunch of crock.

Rhiannon----------------

Charter cable told me the same thing. It took me about six months of bugging them before I got a box with digital out.

As far as the left and right channel issue, as stated in a previous response it is most likely on their signal end. I have a few channels that operate like that also and I run all digital audio. I would complain to Charter but the problem is on channels I do not even watch.

Just show up physically and ask for the one with the optical out... with your old box and do not forget the remote too with Comcast. Should be a no problem deal. IMO

With the optical outs, you will get DD in all it's glory too. Go straight to your pre amp or receiver. Done deal. And sounds wonderful!

----------------

Rhiannon

----------------

Well, your problem may be solved by going to the digital box. However, I suspect the problem is with the audio set up on your Motorola. I

ts been a while since I've had a digital cable box in the house, but if memory serves, you'll need to access the Motorola's menu (I think its an on-screen menu), and check out the audio set up. I think the default setting is "stereo-wide", or something like that. The "wide" setting is adding additional processing to the analog output, and likely giving the DPL II decoder on your receiver fits.

See if you can change the setting to normal "stereo", and then see if that doesn't solve the problem. If it does, you're likely to experience a significant pick up in overall sound quality. Not as much as feeding your receiver the cable boxes digital outout, I suspect, but a pick up nonetheless.

----------------

Rhiannon

----------------

It's been a while, did you get it taken care of yet?

The S-Video box is what I have had to ask for.

3 years ago, the S box I had would not work digital out, took Comcast a few trips before they figured it out, and a call to someone higher up the scale.

You may still need to use the analog outs from the box as some lower channels don't output digital.

My locales are not digital, unless I watch them in HD in the HT room.

They have never charged me for an upgrade box, well just the monthly for the HD box when I went to that. I still have 2 S boxes and 2 analog boxes

Comcast was here again the other day and I now have a DVR dual tuner box. I am STILL having problems with the SciFi channel and a few others as far as sound only coming out of one channel. The so-called "tech" guys from Comcast didn't know squat. Sssheeshh... *I* know more than they do!

It's beginning to sound like it's a local issue. I was talking to a friend of mine who also has Comcast but lives in a different county and ALL channels come through fine on his HT system. And yes, I've checked every setting you can think of on the comcast box, tv, receiver, etc. etc.

Guess it's time to TRY and get someone intelligent on the phone at Comcast.

Rhi

• 2 months later...

----------------

Rhiannon

----------------

It's been a while, did you get it taken care of yet?

The S-Video box is what I have had to ask for.

3 years ago, the S box I had would not work digital out, took Comcast a few trips before they figured it out, and a call to someone higher up the scale.

You may still need to use the analog outs from the box as some lower channels don't output digital.

My locales are not digital, unless I watch them in HD in the HT room.

They have never charged me for an upgrade box, well just the monthly for the HD box when I went to that. I still have 2 S boxes and 2 analog boxes

Ooooh, I like that Aragon avatar you've got there!