La Scala home safely, playing beautiful music !

nightrider

After a harrowing 1200 mile round trip in driving rain storms my La Scala are now home. They are beautiful in sound and looks. They are medium oak with a rosewood grille surround. I would like to tell any who lust for La Scala, don't be concerned with tall tales of truncated bass responce. In my setup the bass is clear and strong, suprising after reading some of the posts on this forum and others. The instruments, be they string, woodwind, piano, percussion or voice are the same size as the real thing. The absolute detail and "realness" are somthing I have not heard in my systems ever before. The reproduction of live music is what we strive for, and La Scala has given me a sound as close as any I have heard in any home. The vintage Eico HF-81 matches perfectly, the Eico/Mullard tubes produce in the La Scala , MAGIC. Why would I want to put a subwoofer in to damage the synergy and the sound? To those contemplating La Scala, take the advice of a lifetime searcher of music, and jump in with both feet. Nightrider

Congrats on the La Scalas!! They just fill up your room with sound don't they. I have a pair of 2004 and love em!! I love the bass and don't use my RSW 12 with them cause the sub just sounds boomy to me!

I made 6 1/2 inch risers for mine and the bass, midrange, and treble really blended together. Right now the bass bin is firing at your legs, the midrange horn at your chest and the treble is right below your chin. Risers can will lift every thing up higher. Now my bass bin is firing at my chest, midrange level with my face and the treble is just above my ears. You can adjust the height of the riser till you get the best sound.

I sold my KLF 20s to my best friend. I took them down to his house and hooked em up and fired em up and with his system they were bright! So he had a couple of crates that raised them up by 10 inches to almost the hight of KHorns and much much better. Bass was better, midrange was smoother and treble was not harsh.

I used 2 x 4s and 2'x 2' 3/4 inch plywood and braced the inside with 2 x 4. Can do it in a after noon and by extra plywood so you can raise the speakers higher to see how you like the sound. Once you get the height right you can make a nice pair of risers.

If this is too much trouble then put something under the speakers so the fron is raised up and that might be enough for you.

Enjoy the speakers!!

Xman

post-13699-1381926907287_thumb.jpg

"The absolute detail and "realness" are somthing I have not heard in my systems ever before. The reproduction of live music is what we strive for, and La Scala has given me a sound as close as any I have heard in any home." - Nightrider

I agree. La Scalas really make you believe you've got a real--albeit invisible--band in the room with you. The best thing I can say is that to me, they don't sound like speakers - they sound like a LIVE performance.

-H2G

----------------

On 8/8/2005 3:49:05 AM heresy2guy wrote:

...The best thing I can say is that to me, they don't sound like speakers - they sound like a LIVE performance....

----------------

Greetings,

They sure do!

And I've found the bass response of these speakers to be enormous ... so much so that I've actually put my 299B back in the closet and am again using my tamer, less powerful Audio Note amp. With the Scott the bass was so huge (and pounded like a sledge hammer at only moderate volume levels) that I began to be concerned about neighbor relations here in the condo.

I did, however, notice that the low E note on a bass guitar, at 41.2 Hz, is more imagined than heard or felt. This is perfectly in keeping with the technical literature that came with the speakers, which lists a -5dB point at 45Hz (which is between an F and an F# on the bass guitar). However the bass reproduction at only a few notes higher is a real monster.

Many congrats on the new La Scala purchase!

Take care,

Scott

Congrats on a wonderful combination which will not wear out your ears or you enjoyment of the music.

The union of refurbished vintage Eico HF-81 integrated tube amplifier with the mighty La Scala is indeed blessed in the heavens of music. The mid-bass of the LaScalas is excellent. A powerful sub woofer will fill in the bottom notes, making the tube amplifier and the entire audible spectrum sound even better. The sub must have deep frequency response, the crossover must have a steep slope and the output has to match the high level of the LaScala. Only then will the sub improve the synergy and the sound!

10.gif

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:54:53 PM charlieboy wrote:

Hey Fred did you get a chance to hear the speakers through that Decware gear before you sold it. I bet it would have sounded nice.

----------------

I did get to try the La Scala with the Decware TABOO, The 46 year old Eico HF-81 blows the decware away! I was amazed at that outcome, but the Decware TABOO had no more air, bloom, soundstage or musical ability! And the little Eico had headroom all over the TABOO, which enabled it to do a much better job with the most demanding passages of music. Sometimes more dollars don't make a better amp, just a more expensive amp. nightrider