The McIntosh Experience

Dflip

Audiokarma organized a small outing to the McIntosh Labs factory in Binghampton, NY on Monday for 14 dedicated McIntosh users who all footed their own bills for the trip, just like the Klipsch pilgramage. I had the opportunity to go and seized it willingly despite leaving Toronto at 2:40 am to arrive in Binghampton by 7:45 for breakfast.

Ron Cornelius put on a great tour of the plant and production facilities. Believe it or not, all parts to the electronics are made in house. Of course, caps/resistors and the like are not made by McIntosh, but they do their own sheet metal, painting, glass work, silk screening, etc... It was very impressive. The group was treated fabulously with breakfast and lunch provided, McIntosh golf shirt, bag and McIntosh/Audiokarma pin as well. Three members of the engineering team joined us for lunch and were very willing to discuss how and why they do things. After lunch we went over to Audio Classics, a short eight minute drive and spent and hour and a half drooling over used McIntosh equipment, plus listening to new lines with three different speakers, McIntosh, B&W and Tannoy. The Tannoys sounded the best, even through they reminded me of Rosie from the Jetsons. 9.gif Audio Classics also gave us a t-shirt, pen and pin to thank us for our trip to see them.

To view some of the pictures taken and comments, you can go to: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44826

I had a wonderful time and the trip back was delayed a bit by a five hour detour to Coopertown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame. Definitely a trip worth doing, at least once in your lifetime. It was amazing to see the old equipment they played with and the jerseys of men I had only ever heard of. I'm not a baseball nut, but it did send some shivers down my back at times.

I found two jerseys in the hall that were interesting. He is not allowed in the Hall Fame as an inductee, but two of his jerseys are on display and he leads the hits and is second in doubles list all time. I also have a pic of his Phillies jersey. I just found this a little ironic. I know, I took my own topic off line on the second post. 15.gif

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=38498&

post-6396-1381926912437_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a great time D. I love my McIntosh gear and I actually got most of it from Audio Classics. Those guys and great to deal with and if it comes out of there, it's RIGHT!

I haven't been to the Hall of Fame for over 40 years. I bet it's changed a little. Pete should be there. It just ain't right!7.gif

Sounds like a great trip. The Hall of Fame is just plain awesome. I have a 6500 under warranty that isn't quite right and has a bubble behind the glass...I wonder if it's covered?

Pete Rose read the same sign everyday in the dugout that every other major leaguer reads..."If you bet on baseball you will be banned for life" Pretty damn simple, but his arrogance and ego clouded his common sense. He got what he deserved.

marcophile, contact your dealer or McIntosh to see whether it is covered.

Service Department:

Warranty & Service related questions

Authorized Service Center Locator

Sharon Butt: sbutt@mcintoshlabs.com

Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm EST, M - F

Toll Free: (800) 538-6576

Phone: (607) 723-3515

Fax: (607) 723-1917

A bubble should never have gotten out of the factory. They have a great service department which mostly deals with people who tried to ship Mc's without protecting them properly. One had it's frame twisted and another one actually survived a hurricane, although it has a good amount of sand on the inside. They just keep it around to show people.

McIntosh does do runs of old glass every couple of months, but it is a time consuming process and not cheap. They look absolutely gorgeous, but because of the time involved, they charge you for it. I don't remember the exact total, but it was in the $130-150 US range. The glass is cut, silk screened three times with a different pattern that has to be set up each time. The ink is heat set in under 10 seconds and then each piece is inspected to ensure that it is perfect. All of this work is done on-site.

Don

----------------

On 8/10/2005 11:38:09 AM marcophile wrote:

Pete Rose read the same sign everyday in the dugout that every other major leaguer reads..."If you bet on baseball you will be banned for life" Pretty damn simple, but his arrogance and ego clouded his common sense. He got what he deserved.

----------------

I believe in rules and their enforcement. Pete was wrong to do what he did but quite frankly, the punishment has been too harsh. Pete played and coached the game the way it should be done. Pete Rose loved the game and there are plenty of us, out here, that loved and appreciated his efforts.

• 1 year later...